/dist/images/branding/favicon

Love the Movi form factor and integration

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by John Chu, May 28, 2018.

1. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Have the Movi for about 3 weeks now and I really love the form factor and integration with the Movi app. The app along with the buttons and trigger makes it sooooo easy to lock focus-adjust exposure and start and stop recording. (It cleans up my editing as I don't have to trim the wobble from the ends of my clips).

I just hope Freefly will add higher recording bit-rates and choice of audio recording formats to the Movi app.
    I'd be satisfied to continue the Movi app if those 2 big features are added.. and maybe anamorphic preview.

Still, shooting certain subjects with the iPhone makes me long for different focal lengths--- and I hope Freefly will eventually enlarge the prosumer Movi line to include a version for mirrorless cameras. I would love to have a Freefly Movi XL for use with a Panasonic G7. (In the mean time, I should consider thinking about a dual lens iPhone---- but have some concerns about iPhone camera OIS and stabilizers in general. The magnet trick seems like an option.)

One interesting thing about the using Movi– it helps me mentally when recording, I'm more comfortable getting closer to subjects--the device seems to put subjects at ease compared to holding a naked phone. Or maybe they are just marveling at the device and not concerned that they are on camera.

Steve Huether likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

John: Are you aware of the Moment lenses that are available for the iPhone?

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I've had a long held bias (probably unfounded) against lens attachments on the iPhone until I bought a Moondog Lens Anamorphic Lens a couple years ago and was amazed at the quality. (I mean-- why spend all that money kitting out the iPhone to do things a video DSLR could do with better quality.). And of course for "running and gunning" with the camera, a zoom is ideal. Who wants to swap out lenses like that. :)

Still, I did back the Moment anamorphic lens Kickstarter since it was a good early bird price. I guess I will consider the tele lens once all the goodies arrive this summer. (The Moment case and the wide angle was on sale).

#3 John Chu, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I've got the Wide and Tele lens and a friend has the SuperFish... So far, I find the Tele not quite what I was looking for. The Wide and the Superfish are awesome, really sharp, not to much fisheye feel, near GoPro field of view but less distortion. My issue with the Tele is it doesn't seem as sharp as I was expecting. It really gets soft outside of the very centre of image. I find I rarely use it unless the 2x of the iPhone X isn't quite enough and I can't physically get closer. I haven't tried it for video yet, which may be different story.

John Chu likes this.
  5. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

I got them ALL (Anamorphic will arrive end of June) and 99,9% are #ShotonMoment https://www.instagram.com/ifranky I really LOVE this company and their products - same as FF and MOVI, especially when putting both together on my trusty iPhone X

John Chu likes this.
  6. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Yeah, I saw one of their YouTube videos with their new Moment Wide angle and was really impressed. Wide angle and Steadicam shots go together and also more forgiving to operator technique.

7. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

How do you like the Macro? It and Anamorphic are next on my list. I think the Macro will be a less used lens but handy in the right situations for sure.

8. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi John,

I gather that you are recording sound directly to your iPhone. Do you find that a cable running from your mike to the phone affects the Movi?

By the way, I’ve seen your YouTube videos and it looks like we share a train and a borough. My stop is 82nd/JH :)

#8 Rorick Edge, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  9. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Yes, I'm using the Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset which plugs directly Ito the lightning port of the iPhone 6.

It seems to be generally okay with the cable dangling off the side, but I'm still experimenting with the tuning setting (Regular--and also doing a Auto tune). The cable does add a bit of weight---so I have to remember to try and get the phone in the ballpark with the cable inserted and then power the unit on. I've had the occasional issue where the unit seems to tilt to the right and I have to power off on and double check that my phone hasn't moved from the balanced position on the clamp. Maybe a cable guide/channel/strain relief might be useful.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

John:

If you use Autotune, crank the percentage back to 30 -- it seems to produce results without causing the Movi to vibrate.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

John Chu likes this.
  11. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Thanks! I did another autotune with the Sennheiser cable connected and then reduced percentage to 30. I will try it out and see if it fixes the issue for me.

12. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I guess another option for me is to shoot in 4K and then edit on a 1080p project if I really need to get closer to a subject and can't physically get closer. (Zoom and Reframe in editing). Unfortunately, my iPhone 6 can't do 4K. (Although an app like ProMovie Recorder will allow 3K recording on the iPhone 6).

Steve Huether likes this.