/dist/images/branding/favicon

IMU placement issue

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Stefan Helborg, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Stefan Helborg

Hi

I usually fly with the camera under the drone and with a follow focus motor. When I would fly invertet with the camera, I could see that gimbal IMU sat in the way of follow focus bracket so the camera could not be pushed far enough back in the frame.

Have other some experience with the installation and possible a second location of the IMU? I have tested it handheld, with the IMU set off to the side with two strips. It sits ok tight and it did not seem that there was any difference in the balancing system or the performance of the gimbal.

Does it have anything to say to remove it out to the side like that? It will in fact do that I can shorten the remaining carbon bracket, so I can quickly switch between below and above mounting.

First image is with the IMU in the way of the bracket, and the second image with the IMU removed to the side.

Attached Files:

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Stefan, for me, that part is underneath the back of the camera when I set it up, not under the lens, so it's not in the way. Can you turn the cage the other way around?

3. Stefan Helborg

Yes it is, when flying with the camera under the drone, but it's in front, when flying inverted.

Like you can see in this clip.

4. Stefan Helborg

Hmm no help...

I will have to take that part of, to be able to use follow focus when flying inverted..

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Before you modify the gimbal, check with support@freeflysystems.com, Stefan. Moving the IMU will affect its function -- I believe it needs to know where it is with respect to the center of mass.

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Stefan Helborg

I have now tested it with the IMU placed as the abowe picture shows, and I feel/see no difference. And since there is no way I can fly inverted with iris motor, with the IMU at it's original place, I have to modyfi the bracket, to make it useful.

7. Guillaume MARION

Well I've done some inverted shots and it's more easy to set the cam as normal shot and then invert the image on you screen then you don't need any modifications!

8. Stefan Helborg

Hmm that sounds just like a little cumbersome way to do it.

9. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Yeah that's how I've always worked with an inverted gimbal. Just invert the image on the monitor and you're set. It sounds a little more of a hasstle to have to remount the camera whenever you want to change from underslung to overslung.