/dist/images/branding/favicon

How much wind?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Peter Gøthche, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Peter Gøthche

How much wind can you guys fly in??

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I bought a little wind gauge, and I've been measuring the wind at various flying sites. I find that a steady wind of anything up to 15mph is manageable. However, it's turbulence that can make things difficult. For example, I live near the ocean, and over the water things are usually rather straighforward. However, there are seacliffs around here of 10-100 feet, and anywhere near the cliffs the winds get all wonky and can really cause trouble, even on a day with relatively calm winds. For me, though, the flying is all about photos and video, so that's my issue. Just plain flying is another matter. But I typically don't fly without a camera on board.

Here is the wind gauge I use: http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WM-2-Windspeed-Temperature/dp/B005DF9VUC

Safari-snap002.jpg

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve just a suggestion. Don't wear you beam me up scotty quad flying hat. It might skew the readings...

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Peter Gøthche

Ok thanks, i use a brushless gimbal so the pictue is pretty good always but i am a bit worryed about how much wind my CS6 can handle. But i have never seen anyone crash there multirotor becouse of wind soo :-/

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I suspect there are some tunings for your flight control system that you could make that would help in very windy conditions. For example, I would imagine that you'd want to have more manual control, as the copter's not likely to have much luck using automatic systems in a very strong wind. But I am just guessing. Personally, my agreement with folks for whom I fly (not commercially, of course ;)) is that I cannot fly if surface winds exceeds 15MPH.