/dist/images/branding/favicon

Horizon Drift or no level

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Gorka Rotaeche, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Ozkan,

What a beautiful place to film. What city is that? I disagree, you have a lot of very usable footage there assuming you shot in 4k or higher resolution. You want to pick out sections that are three to four seconds long where the horizon is staying constantly at the same angle, then run those short sections through After Effects Warp Stabilizer to smooth them out. You have some vibration issues in your machine. Then take those stabilized clips into the timeline in Premiere and right click on the clip and in the menu that appears is a tool that lets you rotate the clip to level the horizon. Then just crop to fix the boarders and you can then do colour correction and anything else that you need to do to the files. I hope this helps. You have some issues that are causing the horizon to move around so much. I am not an expert on Movis so someone else will have to chime in to try and help sort it out.

Julien,

You are filming in the mountains with no straight trees around. The horizon could be off quite a bit and you would never know it. The perfect place to do sideways tracking shots.

Wayne Mann
    www.HeliCamHDmedia.com

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Thanks for the info and tips Wayne. The place is Istanbul / Turkey.

The video I post includes the severe horizon drift parts, so I have other footage that we could use much easily. But the behavior of Movi M5, sidetracking with the head wind is the same most of the time. It drifts a lot with lighter cameras. But when I put a bigger and heavier camera, I can get higher stiffness settings which seems to work to get better horizon.

Here is the footage from BMCC 4K:

pass: bmcc4ksky

It holds the horizon much better. Watch after 21st second. We flew super fast on that shot.

Gary, I have two Movi M5 and both of them has similar issue. Once I get a level off shot, I land, restart the Movi, if we are lucky we get a shot that we can use doing the same maneuvers. I just came to conclusion that there is no perfect system which holds the horizon perfectly under fast sidetracking shots, especially after Wayne pointed out that the Cineflex has that problem also.

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Your camera op can learn to "fly" the roll with the rudder stick. I always call out when I'm starting my movement and when I'm about to slow, and that's enough for him to gradually give it some roll in the opposite direction of the movement, and taper it off at the end of the move.
    I feel like the roll is worse on the the M5 than the M10, but I haven't had enough time with the M10 yet to tell for sure.