/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help needed with Radian/Spektrum cabling

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Hannes Frigård, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Hannes Frigård

Just installing Radians on 360 gimbal. Mechanical installation ok, but: I have an urgent need for info on how to build a cable between Spektrum AR6115e receiver and pan Radian. I can't find this cable anywhere; had this CS8 copter made as RTF and obviously the supplier has not delivered all cables that came with the Spektrum 6DXi Tx/Rx system.
    Need to be flying today (possibly only suitable weather in near future...), but cannot go forward without a connection between satellite and Radian...

Can anyone help? quickly?

Also: I have a HiModel 3 Amps 5V/6V UBEC with 6V output selcted, is this ok for Radians or do I need to switch to 5V and is 3A enough? (3 Radians)

Any help appreciated!

2. Philip Ellerbroek

Hannes,

Not sure about radio as I use Graupner, but stay between 5-6 volts. No more or you could fry the radians or be under powered. Not sure about the amperage part, but sounds right.

Phil

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If it's the standard Spektrum Satellite radio it plugs in on the lower surface of the Radian (hold the Radian so the label is facing you and right side up -- the Spektrum socket is on the lower surface.

Does that solve the problem or am I missing some part of the issue?

Andy.

4. Hannes Frigård

So Radians are ok with 6 Volts (in the manual there is only 5V mentioned)?

Hannes

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

6. Philip Ellerbroek

This MAY help .....

7. Hannes Frigård

Yep, I see the mini molex connector on the Radian, but I do not have a suitable cable to connect the Spektrum Satellite radio to the Radian. I need info on correct connection order of the cable in order to be able to make one.

Hannes

8. Hannes Frigård

9. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Aha. Sorry for not picking up on that. On my Spektrum satellite, I just unplugged it from the main receiver and the plug was already on the wires.

I'm not sure I know the pin-out for the Spektrum sateilite.
    This may help: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/7872-sbus-pinout/
    I just did a Google search for: spektrum satellite pinout

Andy.

11. Hannes Frigård

Thanks Jason and Andy

Hmmm...

Amazing what few hours sleep does to your brain (I live in Finland and my last post was aroun 2:40 at night).
    After rethinking/re-reading the Spektrum AR6115e, there is the following text: "Spektrum AR6115 e, microlite park flyer 6ch receiver, 2048"
    So, this isn't a satellite after all, is it?
    As you can cleverly deduce, I'm not familiar with all this R/C terminology/technology...

My problem is still: how do I connect this AR6115e receiver(?) to the Radians? Do I need to relate to PWM cabling?

Very grateful for your help.
    rgds, Hannes

12. Hannes Frigård

Oh, not to make things easy; I need to fly today and there is only abbout 6 to 7 hours of daylight available from now on (its 8:51 in Finland)...

13. Jason Smoker

14. Jason Smoker

15. Hannes Frigård

Yep, been staring AT that (and the previous page 19), but can't figure out to which connection do I put the cable on the Spektrum AR6115e; AUX1, GEAR, RUDD, ELEV, AILE, THRO or BIND/DATA. Also I do not have a suitable cable to connect from AR6115e to Radian mini molex connector. I could be able to make the cable if I can find a mini molex connector (from local electronics shop) and know the correct cable order.

16. Jason Smoker

have you bind it yet? once you bind the satellite with the AR6115e. the AR6115e it is not necessary for the set-up.

to bind it the procedure is similar to the video Phillip posted but if you dont have that cable just use the bind plug in the bind/data plug

use that wire i posted earlier plug it to the satellite and the other one into the bottom of the pan module.

17. Hannes Frigård

Reason for using the AR6115e is that it is what was delivered with the copter (I ordered this as "ready to fly", since I'm not a R/C expert, as you have noticed). So; I don't know how to use a satellite receiver, just somehow got the idea that AR6115e would be a satellite (its those long dark hours at middle of the night when you can't think straight...).

18. Hannes Frigård

As said, I'm total novice with R/C stuff. I've been flying with this CS8 allready. I have a Spektrum DX8 to control the CS8 (for pilot) and DX6i for controlling the 3 axis gimbal. I wasn't satisfied with the performance of the original potentiometer control of the gimbal, so I ordered the Radians (all 3). Dismantled the older setup and (mechanically) installed Radians. Thought it would be a straightforward task, but got confused with this cable/receiver/satellite "mixture"...

Answer to your question: yes, I think it should be "bind" since its been in operation allready. What do you mean by: "once you bind the satellite with the AR6115e. the AR6115e it is not necessary for the set-up."?

a rookie, please be patient...

19. Jason Smoker

ok so if it is rtf the satellite should already be bound to the dx6i. Like i said before the AR6115e is not required!!

Plug in the satellite to the pan radian shown on page 20 of the radian manual. turn on your dx6i and power up the radian module. you should see a solid orange light on the satellite. meaning its bound and ready to go.

if not follow this video

use the gear switch as your 3 position switch. only two settings on/off and your good to go

20. Jason Smoker