/dist/images/branding/favicon

GH2 release

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Philipp Goose, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Philipp Goose

Philipp Goose Member

Hey guy´s

i have a short question. How do you release your Panasonic gh2 for a photo on your gimbal?

I have an 3 Axis gimbal with radian and would take some pictures at the flight.
    May some on can tell me what is the easyst way to release the shutter.
    I must also tell you that i have here an "mikrokopter extension pcb kit" may can i use these for release?

Thanks ahead

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Philipp:
    With the 3-Axis gimbal, the problem is that it can rotate freely so you cannot run a wire from the MK Extension PCB kit....at least not without the risk that the wire is going to get very tangled.

There are two fundamentally different types of camera trigger: 1) Those that are controlled from an RC channel (which typically have three wires in the connector) and 2) those that are controlled using transistor output voltages (which typically only have two wires). For example the Extension PCB uses transistor output.

However on the 3-Axis Gimbal it's probably easier to use one or two of the receiver channels to control the trigger. Therefore you might want to consider purchasing the MK IR Trigger, or the Strato Snapper, or the Gentled (which is only available from the UK, I think, according to Google).

I've used both the MK IR Trigger (with a 5D Mk III) and the Strato Snapper (with a Sony CX760). I have not used either of them with a Panasonic GH2.

For the camera switch, I would recommend you use a separate Recom/Traco 5V 1 Amp DC/DC converter to pull power from the battery you are using for the gimbal -- there is a lot of electrical noise from the servos and this was enough to fry a Strato Snapper and cause the MK IR Trigger to lock up on me.

Both the MK IR trigger and the Strato Snapper can use two RC channels which you might want to use for:

1. Zoom In/Out.
    2. Record toggle on/off and take digital still (assuming the GH2 can take stills).

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

3. Philipp Goose

Philipp Goose Member

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The Extension PCB provides access to the transistor level outputs J16 and J17, but it increases the amount of power that you can switch. You can certainly use it to control a transistor switchable camera trigger such as the one from QC.

I presume you plan to mount the Extension PCB on the gimbal? Are you using an MK FC for gimbal stabilization?

Andy.

5. Philipp Goose

Philipp Goose Member

No i use the radian system for stabi, you are right. i read the details in the german description.

I think there is the easiest (and the cheapest?) way to use the gentwirefocus for gh2!?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

In which case, use the Aux ports on the Radians to get you the two PWM outputs.
    I didn't price out the Gentled units, nor do I know what your native currency is, but clearly you do! :)

Andy.