/dist/images/branding/favicon

Fun job today!

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Duane Bradley, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

I had the opportunity to fly inside of one my cities large companies today. They have a DoD contract for our Country and also to repairs on many airlines planes. I didn't want to tally up the total cost of the planes I was flying over, but here is a screen shot from my video.

Now I'm waiting for them to replace a large sign at their entrance, for some leaves and flowers and I'll be shooting their exterior as well.

Attached Files:

Joe Azzarelli likes this.
  2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Nice! That would be a fun place to shoot!

Josh

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Did you have an assistant there to wipe the sweat off your brow? Nerve-wracking, but so exciting!

On a more mundane matter, obviously there's no GPS availability inside of an aircraft hangar, but does compass, electrical and/or radio interference worry you? I'm going to be flying inside of a large local convention facility, and I'm wondering what to expect. No people around (off hours), but lots of interesting scenery.

4. Josh Lambeth

Any indoor flights I just unplug the two ribbon cables from the Navi-Stack and run just the FC. That will eliminate any chances of the compass causing issues. If you have a value in the Compass Effect in MK tools and your flying around large amounts of metal it will cause the copter to YAW randomly even if you are flying full manual without any of the "automated" features.

Josh

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Great tip! Thank you...

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh: Are you saying that there are two alternatives?
    1. Disconnect the GPS/Navi board, or
    2. Crank the compass effect in MK Tool back to zero.

Andy.

7. Josh Lambeth

Yes. If you unplug the navi/gps then the FC will allow you to start the motors and fly (I have mine set to not let me start the motors unless I have a valid GPS fix).

The other option is turning the compass effect to 0. Even if your flying full manual the compass has an effect on heading hold. I was flying in a huge warehouse with lots of steel racks everywhere and when I had the compass effect set on the default of 64 the copter would randomly raw left or right. As soon as I set it to 0 the issue went away.

Josh

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks -- that confirms my understanding.
    The advantage of just cranking the compass effect to zero is that if you do happen to get a GPS signal indoors, then a GPX file will be created.

Andy.d

9. Josh Lambeth

Another reason I don't like GPS inside is if you get a signal loss who knows where your copter is going to go... I would rather it just go to E-gas and drop where it is.

Josh

10. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

I left everything hooked up, but did NOT rely on my GPS!! I did six batteries worth of flying, maybe 10 flights. On all but 2 I was pulling more than 6 satellites. Still though, did not want to rely on anything in there. And yes, and assistant for brow wiping would have been handy.

Good tip on cranking the compass effect. Will be putting that in my data base of tricks for the future!