/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying indoors

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Sep 20, 2013.

1. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

Steve, yes I am the proud owner of an expensive brick.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

John, there are several posts on this forum which discuss how to properly render a LiPo completely intert. To paraphrase, hook up a small load (like a DC light bulb, or maybe a fan or something) to it and run it into the ground until it's dead. Then, apparently the trick is to submerge it in sea water (or just salt water) for a while, which will make it completely inert. At that point, it can be recycled the same way other batteries can.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve: I believe the salt water bath is just a method of creating a slow discharge (given that salt water is electrically conductive).
    The light bulb trick appears to the do the same thing, so I think they may be alternatives rather than sequential steps.
    I have read some postings that suggest that as the LiPo gets down to really low voltages it starts to heat up, so if you do go the light bulb route, you might want to position the whole setup out on your concrete driveway just in case of a lithium fire.

Alternatively, use the driveway of the neighbor who borrowed your lawnmower months ago and hasn't returned it. Remember to leave a suitable note. :)

Andy.

Steve Maller and John Butkus like this.
  4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

One other thing I will contribute... do a range check when inside... here's what I do:

Unplug GPS and NAVI ribbons
    Power radio and copter
    Have my cam op carefully place hand on the batteries on the copter to hold it
    I then turn my back on the copter placing myself between the copter and the Tx
    Start walking all over the area you will be flying and watch for the Tx and Telem signals on the Tx Screen. Make sure they aren't fluctuating much. If they are, don't fly!!!!

I did this on a shoot and when I was standing next to the copter it was fine, I started walking away from it and didn't even make it 10ft and lost my Telem data. Another 10ft and I was down to 1 bar for the Tx. I didn't fly in there.

Oh and just remember to plug in your GPS and NAVI cables when you go back outside... ;)

Josh

Steve Maller likes this.
  5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Andy thanks again for this great explaination. Would you also need to uncheck enable GPS in MK tools? If enable GPS is checked but its not hooked up would that mean it won't start?

6. Dave King

Thanks Josh.

7. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Dave ...

Just wondering how that indoor shoot went and what your final configuration was?
    We've got one coming up in a few days inside a warehouse.

8. Dave King

Never happened. They couldn't get the company to sign off on it that day.