/dist/images/branding/favicon

First Flight With A Tilt/Shift Lens

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Steve Maller, May 30, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Did a first attempt at flying my 90mm tilt/shift lens. Need some tuning, but very interesting perspective!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting experiment, Steve.
    What effect were you striving for? As in, how had you focussed the lens. The Scheimpflug effect would have tilted the focal plane so that the top of the image would be closer than the bottom, so the effect you get would depend on how you focussed, I think?

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I like the "ribbon of focus through the middle of the frame" effect of over-tilting the lens, basically making the focal plane exaggerate towards more narrow, yielding the "miniature train set" effect. I am well aware of the opposite, which would be for the "field of flowers all magically in focus" effect. I did not use the "shift", which confuses my brain even more. ;)

I was also curious how the MōVI would handle a telephoto lens, also. I actually ran this same video through Warp Stabilizer, and it eliminated all the wobblies. But I think I could do the same with a little tuning of the stiffness, as well as possibly using slightly stiffer vibration isolator belts. But today I go back to the GH4, which is much lighter (1.25 pounds lighter, to be exact), right in my system's sweet spot.

Justin Marx likes this.