/dist/images/branding/favicon

Feature film, MoVi configuration

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Arturo Bernardi, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Arturo Bernardi

Hi everybody
    I have to set up the MoVi for a red epic with zeiss ultra prime, 2 follow focus motor, clip on mattebox, 2 glass. That is the request of a dop to make the MoVi access to the high end motion picture's world...
    Do you think it can handle it?
    I'm wondering, would be possible to load the MoVi more than 12 lbs and still make it works? With a perfect balance, achieved also changing some carbon tube on the MoVi to have an extra space to balance?
    All suggestions and inspirations will be loved!
    Best
    A.

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

It would be getting pretty close to the target weight, but I think with the new accessories and the right motors / control box / matte box you'd be at or under 12 pounds.

3. Arturo Bernardi

Hi Brett
    What do you think about motor/control box, the new cmotion Compact LCS looks to be the solution...i don't think the service would have it, here in Italy Preston and Digifox are the most common.
    cheers

4. ss kiran reddy

ss kiran reddy New Member

Hi Arturo,
    I have prepared a report on similar lines, my solution will be to use a Small HD DP4 (180gms) monitor with hdmi out of the Epic. Use the ultra thin hdmi cable from Sanho. paralinx transmitter (size of a USB stick and very light) on the small hd monitor hdmi out signal. use a splitter cable to split the battery powering the movi rig with a jst to jst splitter, connect one end to the movi rig and the other end to the jst to d-tap which u will get at the freefly store. connect the d- tap to a d-tap multi splitter which u get in b&h, now power your small hd monitor and the paralinx from the d-tap multi. These two will be on the cross bar.
    Buy the RT Motion FF, the receiver is the lightest and smallest of all the FF weighs 118gms and a single motor weighs 212gms. This is a 3axis FF. The receiver can be mounted on top of your cam or even on the cross bar depending on the cable length, RT Motion supplies very thin and flexible cables. Use a second movi battery to power the FF, movi battery weighs only 200gms.
    Power the Epic with whichever feels light and perfect for you or use the side carbon attachment from freefly and IDX E7s to power the epic and the FF. If you feel even this is heavier then power the epic with another movi battery with a cable from Laird which is fantastic.
    Use the vocas MB210 4*4 mattebox (210gms), the lightest I found so far.

Arturo Bernardi likes this.
  5. ss kiran reddy

Red Carbon Dragon will be great. Use the PL Motion Mount so that you don't need to add additional basic filters.

6. pedro faerstein

Hi Kiran,

Could you post a link to where I could buy this cable to power the epic from the movi batteries? Is this safe?

Thanks

7. ss kiran reddy

(i) B&H AB power multi P Tap (D-Tap) (2nos) $ 188.00
    Anton Bauer PowerTap Multi - Male PowerTap to Four Female PowerTap Receptacles

B&H # ANPTM Mfr # POWERTAP MULTI
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/204182-REG/Anton_Bauer_POWERTAP_MULTI_PowerTap_Multi.html

(ii) B&H Laird 12v DC cable for Epic Lemo to D-Tap 2’ $ 160.00
    Laird Telemedia 12V DC Power Cable for Epic and Scarlet Lemo 1B 6F to P-Tap 2 ft

B&H # LARD1PWR1702 Mfr # RD1-PWR17-02

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871336-REG/Laird_Telemedia_RD1_PWR17_02_12V_DC_Power_Cable.html

www.helipal.com
    http://www.helipal.com/parallel-jst-cable-1m2f.html
    (i) Splitter cable from helipal(JST m to 2JST f) (5nos) $ 20.00

8. Ben Huddleston

Arturo, I just shot for a month on that exact setup, minus the matte box. For filtration I had 2 systems: on the 24mm and wider lenses, I used a lens cap which I had cut a hole in and hot glued a screw-in filter ring in there. Then I screwed in Heliopan filters right into the cap. Super lightweight and easy.

On the 16mm lens, it would vignette. So my other system was heavier and bulkier--- I took my Chrosziel 4x4 clip-on matte box, and removed the box/shade portion, so I was left with just the 2 filter stages that would clamp on the lens.

This is a heavy setup, but it weighed in at 11.99 lbs. (We used the slightly heavier Arri Ultra LDS lenses). No performance issues at all other than that when the MoVI lipo batt is about halfway discharged, it will start to malfunction. A full charge and all is great.

photo.JPG

Arturo Bernardi likes this.
  9. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Nice setup Ben. Thanks for the picture. How do you find the RT Motion?

10. pedro faerstein

Kiran,

Thanks very much.

11. Arturo Bernardi

Thanks Everybody!

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Holy crap, Ben!
    Have you been working out since I met you at the training class? 12 lbs?
    Do you carry that or are you hiring gorilla AC's?

Andy.

13. Vin Guglielmina

Vin Guglielmina New Member

Kiran reddy,

Im intrigued by your setup. Curious how the lipo battery will hold up powering a DP4, TX, and the M10? Seems like the draw would be too much no?
    Im powering my rig with with lipo/ canon lpe6s for the DP and teradek but would love to get it all down to one source, really like your lipo split to multi d tap idea. Just seems like it would be sucking too much juice...

14. ss kiran reddy

hi Vin,
    I have tried it with a system here and it gives us an approx life of 45mins. Just try it and you will be very happy. I use the integy lipo buzzers to caution me on the power draw. Keep a lot of batteries in spare and two or three chargers. So your set up will be light.

madhav reddy likes this.
  15. madhav reddy

madhav reddy New Member

Hi kiran sir..this is madav reddy from chennai.I am very much intrested in movi m10. So if it possible i want meet u once. mb no 8608435858

16. Ben Huddleston

Yeah Andy, it's a beast for sure. I make my ACs hold that sucker right up until the 1st AD yells, "And..." just before the Director's "Action." The quick hand off and my frame is set about a half second before "Action." Only way I could find to not die.

Brett, the RTmotion was a dream to use. I had no issue with it at all. Super responsive, torquey motors, great range, not huge and heavy... Also, I own and have been a big fan of RedRock's Wireless FF in spite of all its critics due to it being about 95% perfect and at a bargain price, but the RTmotion is a significant step up. I still love the redrock and will keep it if only for the fingerwheel focus knob. That thing will change your life if you're handholding a bunch and want to pull your own focus!

17. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Our feature film setup:

image.jpg image.jpg

20 shooting days left, no issues so far..

Best,
    Wolf

18. Ben Huddleston

Nice looking rig. How much does it weigh? I've been wanting to get some Cookes on one of my shoots, but haven't yet.

Also, where did you get the extra piece of CF and bracket to mount it upside down on the Steadicam and stand?

19. Wolf Schiebel

Hi Ben,

actually i didn't have the guts to weigh it ;-)

I guess it's at about 12-13 lbs. I have several "spare" rods from my old Cinestar remoteheads. I had to "feed" it with some other tubes to get down to 19mm.

I also built a lightweight single-filter stage from carbon and carbon-fibered Pom which fits on a standard Arri Mb-5 adapter. Weight without filter: 140 gr.

I will post some pics later...

Best,

Wolf

20. Wolf Schiebel

Shooting day 7:
    Custom-made filter holder, fits on an Arri MB-5 clamp. Lens and filter change is a matter of seconds now...

Cheers,

Wolf

image.jpg image.jpg