/dist/images/branding/favicon

Fault with Radian module

Discussion in 'Radian' started by alec_caton, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Colin

Colin Member

Howard. The unit is the Castle CC BEC 10 amp peak. Up to 6s 25v max in with 4.8-9.0 volt output. Thats all I can read from the label

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Thanks. I actually own a couple of these. By default they are shipped with a 5v rating. In order to change the voltage you have to connect it to your PC and use the CC software. Did you change your voltages?

3. Colin

Colin Member

Thank you Howard. We had the copter professionally built for us by Heliguy for aerial filming.
    This is the first time Ive pulled the BEC away from the gimbal. The answer to your question is no we didn't change the voltage. I do believe the first time the units failed Heliguy changed this regulator as well as a servo and radian unit all of which were deemed faulty. Could this be the underlying issue, there has to be one.
    Are FF servos rated differently than off the shelf servos such as JR which can accept 4.8-6volts?

4. Colin

Colin Member

Andy, just found a statement from FAQ,
    "The Radian can accept input voltages from 3V to 12V. The Radian will pass it's input voltage on to the servos. Please note that the Freefly Servos are rated for a 6V MAXIMUM input voltage, so if you are using Radian on a CineStar gimbal then 6V is the max input voltage".
    Is it acceptable that the FF team would agree that the BEC 6.2v regulator installed on our gimbal could be killing our servos etc.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin Tabb would have the final answer but since you are at 6.2V it probably isn't doing the servos any good. It is pretty straight forward to use the Castle Creations CastleLink device to set the voltage back into an acceptable range. Howard is correct that they ship with a default of 5.1 volts. This is the little adapter for programming and also the manual.

6. Colin

Colin Member

Thank you Gary. Its starting to make sense now. I wonder if the guy who built our machine thought that by adding additional power, little as it is, to help with the heavy load, altered the output voltage from the BEC. Maybe we have cracked the puzzle at last. Fingers crossed.
    Hope Tabb can reply asap as we'll contact the distributor tomorrow.

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Colin, 6.2 is over the stated maximum of 6v but I do not think the issues you are seeing are coming from that, I think this is a wiring issue coupled with perhaps a dead roll servo.

I am wondering if the roll servo got a dose of 12v at some point?

Tabb

8. Colin

Colin Member

Tabb, thank you. My business partner will be contacting Heliguy later today. Hopefully they will replace the servo, FOC. I don't see how the unit could have been fed 12v unless the Castle CC BEC is faulty. Our supply from the 3s 11.1v is fed into the regulator and then out to Radian. This is the second BEC to be fitted. It was replaced the first time the gimbal was returned to Heliguy (same issues) along with a PAN radian and FF servo. So I suppose we've gone in a full circle now. I've checked all wiring can't find anything which would be suspect. I don't think there's anything left. But certainly if you can think of anything else we'll certainly try it. Just hope we can get our shoot covered on Wednesday. Thank you thus far.