/dist/images/branding/favicon

ESC failure due to battery?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by alex ryan, Oct 26, 2015.

1. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hi,
    So I have had two ESCs fail on me over the last couple of months on one of my hexas.
    This hasn't happened to me before and I'm curious as to why it has happened twice in such a short period of time.
    I had a look through my logs and realised that both times the ESC failed I was flying with the same battery. Coincidence? or is it possible that the battery caused the failure?
    It is a relatively new 10000mah 6s 25C battery (only 13 cycles). Its taking a good charge. It has a higher discharge rate than other batteries I have used on the same hex (I normally fly 10C batteries on this hex), so dont really understand why it would be the culprit, but wanted to make sure I could eliminate it from possible problems before flying it on my ALTA.
    Anyone know of batteries causing ESCs to fail? If so, what are the reasons for this? Is there a way to verify the discharge rate of the battery (if the battery wasn't supplying adequate amps it is possible the esc could burn out)?
    Thanks,

Alex

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you supply some more details, Alex?
    For example, which vendor's battery is it? Which vendor's ESCs are you using?
    Are you flying with Mikrokopter avionics with a Navigation Control Board that records a GPX flight log?

Is there anything else special about the battery? Are the battery main leads longer than other batteries?
    Can you post some images of the installation with the suspect battery in place?

There are ways to verify the discharge rate of the battery but you will need special test gear to do that.

Andy.