/dist/images/branding/favicon

Critical battery damage?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Ronald Weaver, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ronald Weaver

Ronald Weaver New Member

Hey guys!

So, I loaded a couple freefly 10,000's on the Alta yesterday. I didn't notice that they were wedged against the road in the hole screws and I secured them tightly with the rubber bands. After the flight I noticed the screws had caused some damage to the corner of the batteries (very similar on both). It didn't cause a depression or indentation, just a surface scratch that exposed the insides a tiny bit.

Can I use plastic and/or electrical tape to save these batteries or are they now too much of a hazard to fly?? I've got a big gig at USC on Tuesday and need a couple set and might have to go buy an alternative. Damn... (yes, I bite my cuticles) freefly battery damage .jpg freefly battery damage 3.jpg freefly battery damage 2.jpg

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

How familiar are you with the various measurements you can make using a smart charger with your LiPos? Things like internal resistance, etc?

What I would do (and I'm no expert) is if the batteries make it through a charge/storage/charge cycle on the charger (be careful to place them in a safe location) and their numbers compare favorably to a healthy battery, then I'd go ahead and use them.

I would take caution to completely cover the open areas and make sure you do so with some kind of non-conductive tape.

Obviously the safest thing would be to retire them, but at $200 or more each, that's a tough pill to swallow.

I'm sure others will have an opinion. Probably more informed them mine. :)

3. rosauro o

rosauro o New Member

It's simple...

Cost of your machine/payload VS cost of a replacement battery.

4. Chris Jackson

Chris Jackson New Member

It doesnt look like the cell is damaged from the pics, just the heatshrink. If the cell isnt punctured, re-heatshrink the pack and continue. If it is damaged, scrap it.

Stefan Helborg likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Or as Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky today? Do ya?" :)

Chris Jackson's advice applies, but be careful, very careful!

Andy