/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Thanks Matt clarify something for me if the 5208 limit is 1500g, is this refereed to the camera total weight on a scale ? if so does this apply if a camera example of 2000g very well balance on a very good gimbal with minimal drag, does the motor and controllers limits apply, they are only moving the mass not the raw weight?

2. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

I'm not sure exactly how they determine the rating for the individual motors. Since I'm using the 3.6 drive ratio my power settings are low and the motors and board stay within a degree of ambient temp. I decided to go with a belt drive simply because I didn't want to be at or near the limits.

Balance is still key and I would assume that the ratings for the motors are based on a balanced setup and not moving the total weight. It won't be too far into the future when more powerful motors and boards start popping up. I exchanged a few emails with Alexmos and it was apparent that he and his partners are working diligently to expand the capabilities.

The camera I've been testing with right now is the 60D with the 14mm rectilinear. Total weight is just under 1400 grams on the camera tray. Once the parts are ready at the machine shop I'll start testing some other cameras. My goal is to use the Epic, but it's too early to tell what the safe upper limits of the setup I'm trying are.

3. michel pet

michel pet New Member

i like to know what the problem pont is with the motors.
    i think not sure the problem is the cocking has this something todo with the anker of the motor if so this motor in the foto good help us.

[​IMG]

4. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hmmm OK... I understand the tilt motor only has to move the mass of the camera and the tilt components
    the roll motor has to move the above plus the roll components the pan motor has to move the entire gimbal thats why you and I think some one else put the pan motor on a pulley since the pan motor has more mass to move
    hmmm if this is right, or kind of right why then Mario use 2 motors on his tilt and roll he is not messing yet with pan movement?
    hmmm...Mario?

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Another thing to consider in all of this motor and controllers capabilities is actual air resistance to the movement of each axis how low profile to wind is the gimbal

6. Chakradhar Raju

20130125032705373.jpg

7. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Judge for yourself and please download the video for the best quality.

8. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

9. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

10. Howard Dapp

Great! Now mount some HEAVY camera equipment on that thing. Looking good!

11. Jose Luis Ocejo

Why are this motors relevant it states in the picture that they for flying it doesn't say that they are for Gimbal use + they are huge

Mario your test show your gimbal to be really stable
    2 questions:
    1 can or are you planing to test with longer lenses?
    2 would you look at post #521 and 528 on this thread
    thanks Mario

12. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

We are not really in the film bisinus so the GH2 is the best we have for now :(

Howard Dapp likes this.
  13. Jose Luis Ocejo

HI Mario if you have access to a Sony CX 760 or equivalent european version with zoom and if you make a successful test with a longer focal lens or just put a longer lens on your GH2, your gimbal will be so hot that you will have trouble keeping up with sales demand
    that is if you plan on selling them....just an idea

14. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

I know the tilt motors can be smaller than the roll motors because they have a heavier job, but the advance now is that we have a very strong tilt axel and are capable to zoom from (Micro Four Third) 14 to 140mm when balanced ad mid zoom with good results.

Pan will be the next thing to do, but the mount will for sure not be hanging on the pan motor ;)

15. Howard Dapp

Curious why you decided to go 2 with such light camera? I see a benefit, with the added torque the camera does have to be perfectly balance...yes balanced but not PERFECTLY balanced. Are you connecting two motors in parallel to a single motor driver? Thanks!

16. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

17. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

18. Jose Luis Ocejo

Sorry Mario but you got to have a word...or 2 with your cameraman
    just kidding looks very nice

19. Howard Dapp

Also at some point we'd like to see a heavy camera on your "heavy lift mount" something more than a 5d. At the minimum a 5D with an extended battery grip with both batts installed or a 1DX, FS700 or better...this is if you actually plan to sell your great mount.

20. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Maybe we will rent a heavy Pro camera when the final version is ready for some "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" footage ;)

But which camera must that be?

Btw, I can tell you guys that for now our mount is the most powerful one and we have succeeded to get good results with a dual motor setup :D