/dist/images/branding/favicon

Connection Problems

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Pieter Van Campe, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Pieter Van Campe

Pieter Van Campe New Member

Hi,

On set we have a Movi M10 with a Movi Controller. But we have a lot of connections problems. It works fine if you are close to the Movi with the controller. But if you are like 60 feet away from the Movi or there are some people in the line between Movi and Controller. It always lose the connection.
    On our Movi we have installled the two receivers, one for the Movi controller and one for the old Spectrum controller. With the Freefly configurator software, we're able to switch between the two modes (Movi Controller and DSMX 2048) If we switch to the DSMX 2048 mode and we use the old Spectrum controller. The connections problems are solved. But with the Movi controller we are not able to configure a stabile connection. On the Movi we use a C-motion wireless focus system and a Teradek Bolt system to transmit the video.

Is there anyone who knows a solution for this problem?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
    Pieter

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Pieter:
    How do you have the power level on the MōVI controller configured? See page 22 of the MōVI Controller manual.
    If the unit was shipped outside the USA, it will be set to 10dBm. In the USA you can set it up to 18 dBm.

From your description, it sounds like there must be a lot of "noise" on the 2.4 Ghz band that the MōVI Controller is using.

Andy.

3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Did you try different channels?

I have had great range with my controller, and only once had really weird control interference problems, on a specific city block. We changed channels and everything came back to normal.

4. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hey Pieter

Is dat met de set van Lites dat jullie problemen hebben? Ik ben net terug van het buitenland en hoorde een gelijkaardig bericht op mijn voicemail van Jan Vervaeke. Bel me anders gerust even op dan kunnen we onze MōVI controller er eens aanhangen want wij hebben dat probleem nog niet gehad, maar kan ik inderdaad aan de frequentie of software van rig liggen.

Let me know

Grtz
    Kevin (0498870861)

5. Pieter Van Campe

Pieter Van Campe New Member

Hi,

@ Andy: in the power level menu I can choose between N/A, 0 (EU), 1, 2, 3 and 4. I've tried all the different options. But the result is still the same.
    If I turn the controller off. The controller connect with the movi but he set always the channel, device group and power level back to N/A. Is it normal? If I push read, I get my last settings.
    It's true the 2,4GHz band is a frequently used frequency. But the old Spectrum controller works also on that frequency. So I don't know if that's the problem.
    @ Ben: I've tried different channels and also channel 0. The auto channel.
    @ Kevin: It's indeed the controller of Lites. I have already left a message on your voice mail.

In the movi controller you can change the radio mode from movi to DSMX 2048. Does anyone knows if it's possible to use the controller in DSMX 2048 mode with the old receptor?

Thanks for the support guys,
    Kind regards,
    Pieter

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Pieter:
    1. After you have set the Power Level to 4, be sure you use Radio Action: Write to preserve the settings.

2. When you power back on, use Radio Action: Read to display the settings. You should then find that the Power Level is set to 4.

If you have not been doing this procedure, then, when you power back on the MōVI it will still be a 0 (EU).

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Pieter: What Spektrum receiver are you using -- and physically how close is it mounted to the MōVI receiver, please? Could you post an image of your setup showing the two receivers on the MōVI?

Thanks
    Andy.