/dist/images/branding/favicon

CINESTAR 8 WOOKONG M FLIPS and crashes on TAKEOFF

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by David Gamble, Mar 29, 2013.

1. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

Cinestar 8 flips completely over on take off?? grr. keeps doing it . If Battery is above IMU does this mean to plug in negative numbers for CG ? I am not sure why this is ... Can someone send some pics of a working CS8 and Wkm with placements and settings? I am ready for anything ... zukiboy@gmail.com for the pics if you can. :O) As well do you use the default gains?

I am using the graupner mx20 and 360 ff gimbal

thanks a bunch!!

Dave

2. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Are you positive you have all the motors spinning the correct direction and it is configured correctly in the wkm menus? That is the main thing I can think of to cause it to flip on take off.

3. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

I chose "I" octo... and mounted the gps antenna on the #1 arm which is spinning counter-clockwise with a regular prop, then goes around the octo in a left then right prop for the remaining arms. I am curious to see how people have configures theirs with single battery and where they have placed IMU and more specifically where to calculate cg from. .(and yes everything is spinning as per mounting instructions. ?

4. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

I would triple check the motor direction. I had a similar problem on a test/training quad with NAZA, one prop was pushing air up so I assumed I had the motor direction wrong and changed it, but in fact it was the prop that was wrong.

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

David: Sam raises a good point. I would double check that all the props are on correctly (don't mean to insult your intelligence with this, but you would not be the first person to have the props on upside down).

With the prop blade lined up with one pointing at you, the upper leading edge should be on the right as you look down on the prop on odd numbered booms, and on the left for even numbered booms.

That said, if you got them all wrong, the Cinestar would dig into the ground not flip.

Andy.

6. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

ok so I doubble checked prop rotations and all were good... counter clockwise rotations all have proper right turning props and all clockwise arms have L props. I am using the Graupner Props on this one. I am attempting to test fly this in manual mode so I am only assuming I do not have to have the wkm all calibrated? For that matter if I try and enter Calibration mode by flicking the switch between manual and atti the green light does not come on solid at all which tells me I prob need to redo firmware in MC? But to fly in straight manual mode should any of this matter?

7. Brandon Loeser

Manual mode is not stabilized at all! If your gains are too high it'll be super squirrelly. You definitely want to be in attitude mode or GPS when you take off. Especially the first time. I know you stated you have all the props on correctly but are you sure the motors are spinning correctly. Take your props off and check that they are spinning the way they're supposed to be. If not switch two wires from the speed controller to the motors. Try putting your gains around 80. The higher the gain the quicker reactions. Average is 100. I hope this helps.

Brandon

8. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

My experience with WKM is it will fly if everything is connected correctly. A flip means wrong connections/direction/order with either the motors or the control unit with your RX connections and assignments if PPM etc.

9. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

ok, so tonight I have re- verified (triple checked and checked again) all props and rotations are Correct and were the first time.
    I have changed cg z for IMU and will re-calibrate and try an atti take-off in the am. I will record it and post the vid "just in case"
    thank you everyone for all of your input.

10. Brandon Loeser

David good call on checking the IMU and GPS measurement. Also check to make sure the IMU is right side up and pointing forward. There's an image in the DJI directions to show you the correct direction :) I know it may sound like overkill but we'd like you to not flip again. Good luck!

11. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

Hi there Brandon, Just saw your site and have to say I am glad to have seen a cinestar that is equipped with Wookong and actually works because I was seriously doubting it could be done. I notice you are flying with apc props and not the graupners is there a reason why you choose the apc's? I tried the rig once again in atti after re-checking everything and flip-zilla again! its hurts to see this everytime so I called Quadrocopter however they really do not have experience with the DJI system on cinestars as they are a MK shop.
    My cinestar is the same as yours in terms of you have the gps antenna on boom#1 and seem to fly in "I" configuration as per the wookong assistant. Have you ever flown with an "empty" gimbal? Is this really why the DJI keeps flipping over? I was told by another DJI distributor to make sure the craft is "bottom heavy". They also suggested that that the gains be put to 120??? they have been at 100 during the last 3 attempts. If you could send me a pic of your cinestar with what you have in the mounting setup and if you are flying in the "I" configuration that would be great!. I am going to replace some props now :(

Cheers!

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'd suggest strapping it down with good nylon rope, well secured to something very heavy (like your car or a picnic bench), and observe what's going on. I wonder if you may also have your TX configured incorrectly (like for a copter instead of a plane). The irony of multirotors is that most of them require the transmitters to be configured as airplanes, not helicopters. But beyond that I can't offer any more info. Never used the WKM setup, although my quad has a Naza.

13. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

This idea crossed my mind... I was thinking of suspending it though from above as i suspect an anchor will still kill props ;)

14. Brandon Loeser

Hi Dave,
    We're running Graupner and Xoar props as well. Those pictures are early tests. I guess we're always testing. First off.... take that gimbal off. No need to fly and break that until you have it dialed in. The cinestar should fly rock solid without it no matter it the batteries are mounted above. I'll look for a current picture of our setup but until then... how about a picture of yours. Use the APC props first... they're cheaper to break than Graupners or Xoars. Also a screenshot of your software settings. That'll help us figure out what could be causing the flipping. Also check that Radio setting that Steve suggested. What radio are you using?

15. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

David... Which motor is motor #2 ? Too the left or right?
    I have two Cinestar 8's with WKM and both will fly just fine with almost any load or no load or totally unbalanced. They fly better with a load and slightly bottom heavy.
    I use Graupners, Xoar and APC and they all are slightly different but not enough to cause any issues.

16. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

Thank you in advance for your help Brandon. I am using the Graupner mx-20 radio and the gr-24 receiver I have the wookong set up as imu x = 0 y= 0 and z = -9 on the last flip. I took your advice and took off the main part of the gimbal the pan is still there as the landing gear is on that . They only had the right turning apc's in my area so i have ordered some but i have a second full set of graupners to work with. im using the 14 x 8 graupner props. one thing i noticed in atti mode i am getting the double flash yellow which is supposed to mean that the throttle is not set to zero (however my stick is all the way down) and still I do not think this is an issue. My motor number 2 is as in the diagram on the wookong motor mixer.

Attached Files:

17. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

18. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

if
    if you are using a graupner radio can you let me know what mode you are using and what your setup is there between the gr-? receiver and the MC? I have mine set up as follows: GR-24 ch1= E ch2=A ch-3=T ch-4=R ch5=x2 ch6=x3 ch7=U
    When checking the right stick while motors spinning it seemed to be working properly but its hard to be certain. thanks!

19. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

I stand corrected.... i have that wrong... I have the number 2 to the right of number 1. thank you for making me re-check that !!! thanks to your help guys this might take off!

20. Brandon Loeser

Take that gimbal all the way off. So take it off at the isolators. You don't need the landing gear... just play on the grass. Can you take a close up picture of the hub so we can see how the Wookong is mounted and setup. We're using Spektrum radios so I don't know the settings for your setup. Also a screen shot of the Wookong setup on the computer. Seeing how you know your motors are spinning the right direction it must be something else.