/dist/images/branding/favicon

Castle ESC - PWM rates?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Tim Sessler, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Hi guys - I have a quick question, a question that has been asked multiple times before but unfortunately I can't find a good answer for it.

What is the difference between the different PWM rates for the Castle Edge Lite 50 ESCs? I am running Tiger MN4012 480KV and in the past I had it set to 12Khz (the factory setting), which seemed fine. In the Outrunner setting the motor sounds a bit strange when starting up. Is there a benefit running at 24Khz or would that significantly raise the heat of the ESCs?
    Is there any difference as far as efficiency, flight time etc?

Thanks!

2. Tim Sessler

Nobody?! C'mon somebody here must know the answer :)

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Tim Sessler

Thanks Gary - I used those settings as a reference, back when I was setting up the ESC's for the first time. So you are running yours in the "Outrunner" mode? Did you ever try a different PWM setting? What motors are you using?

Would still love to know what exactly the PWM rate is/does and how it will affect the performance. I'd really like to just go out and test it - but the weather in NYC has been anything but welcoming for test flights in the last days ;)

Thanks!
    Tim

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I used those setting when I tried a Hoverfly board. More than a year ago and after two bad boards, one that failed and crashed my copter, I dumped HF. Don't remember what motors I was running at the time.

6. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

7. Tim Sessler

You're running it all at Outrunner? Hm... thats interesting. What motors, FC and lipos do you use, Tim?

Anybody running at 12 or 24Khz?

Thanks again.

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Tiger 3515 motors with the hoverfly pro and 6s batteries.

9. Tim Sessler

Alright... this is absolutely not scientific at all. But I went out today and tested two different PWM settings for the Castle ESC.

AUW was 23.2lb, Mk FC 2.5, I2c-PWM converter, Castle Edge Lite 50 ESC, Tiger MN4012 480KV and 2x parallel 5S 6200mAh lipos.
    - 24Khz gave me a flight time of 06:17 min.
    - Outrunner: 06:26.

I also tested 2x parallel 6S 5300mAh and got a 06:30 flight time. The sound was definitely very different with the 6S, also there seemed to be quite a lot more power.

It seems at least flight time wise there isn't a huge difference between 24Khz and the Outrunner setting.
    If anybody has any valuable input - I'd love to still know a bit more about how different PWM values actually affect the behavior of the motors, temperature of ESCs etc.

Cheers!