/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anyone Using the 24-105 lens?

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Tyler Olson, May 24, 2013.

1. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

The 24-105 is nice because it has IS. It is an L lens so the quality is certainly there. It isn't really much heavier than the 24mm L lens but compared to the 24 f/2.8 IS it is 400g more. Anyone know what the trade off in flight time is for 400g?

Anyone flying with either of these lens and have a reccomendation? I'm tempted to go with the zoom to get a larger variety of lenses to shoot with in one purchase but flying with the 24mm and switching out to a 50mm or 100mm when needed would be a lot nicer on my flight times.

The 100 IS lens is the same weight as the zoom however and there is no 50mm IS option.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I use the 24/2.8 IS and I love it. I find that with the current 2-axis gimbal I can't get usable footage at any focal length over 50mm or so because of the magnification of all the minute vibrations. At 24mm (or wider) the problem is effectively masked. I also use my 17-40 for stills, though, which is closer to the weight of the 24-105, and it definitely shaves a minute or so off my flight times. Another issue with the 24-105 is that there's a potential for "zoom creep" while flying, so you will probably have to tape the zoom ring or something.

3. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

Thanks for the info- useful stuff. A minute less time is quite a bit and you make a good point at vibrations being increased with longer focal lengths. Perhaps I should stick to the 24mm, a 35mm IS lens for a bit tighter shots and the nifty 50 1.8 if I want to go any closer. It'll keep my flights longer, my motors and ESC's will probably thank me as well.

4. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

I use my 24-105 all the time. Mine is so loose that when shooting straight down gravity takes it to 105. Rather than goo up my lens with tape I use a couple of broccoli or asparagus rubber bands. The zoom can still be adjusted pre-flight and stays put.

5. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

@John, what's the longest you shoot at?

6. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

For video; probably half zoomed. For stills I have shot fully zoomed. The difficult part is for the camera operator to find the target. It is like looking through a paper towel roll. I want to try it with a 200mm zoom but balancing the load will be problematic. May have to install a longer top tube for that.

7. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I tried it but (a) it was heavy, and (b) no image stabilization, so it's a very unforgiving lens. I'd only rented it to try it but I then purchased the 24mm f2.8 IS lens because it's lighter and stabilized.

Andy.

9. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I ended up purchasing the 24mm f2.8 iS and the 35mm with IS. If I feel they are different enough I'll keep them both, or if not, I'll sell the one I like the least.