/dist/images/branding/favicon

3-axis Gimbal balancing with cx760

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Joe Azzarelli, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I put together this pdf to show how I balanced my gimbal for the Radian installation. I hope it will help someone attempting the same!

Joe

kjetil likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Joe:

Thanks for taking the time to create that PDF. On the C8 RTF I got from QC, they have mounted the QC 1100 Lipo on the top surface of the right hand forward pointing boom (where you have steel slug). This would appear to achieve the same balancing effect, but without increasing the overall weight of the gimbal by the weight of the steel slug (which I presume you remove before flight).

And congratulations on finding the a use for the those extra plastic rings from the APC props. I've been wondering whether they'd be useful for something!

Do you happen to have a part number for those Radio Shack printed circuit board standoffs? radioshack.com's search engine comes up dry with the search terms you'd expect to use.

Thanks
    Andy

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Joe!

Really nice tutorial you did here, thanks for taking the time to do it!

Best,

Tabb

4. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Hi Joe.

Thank you for taking your time to explain all this things very interesting ...:cool:

Respect...!!!

Marc.

5. Joe Azzarelli

Andy,
    Here is the link to the standoffs.

No, the slug remains in place (firmly packed).
    I am curious how you offset the yaw servo to balance the gimbal in the "east-west" direction with the battery as you have it. Seems a problem either way. ;-)

Happy flying!
    Joe

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Joe:
    I put the Mondo Stinger Tx out on the left front leg, looking at the gimbal from the rear, with the yaw servo on the right hand side of the rear-pointing boom's down-tube. THe Mondo doesn't weigh as much as the servo, but the moment arm is longer.

Thanks for the link for the standoffs. I must have fat-fingered the search terms (or their site was behaving oddly) because I can now find them. Odd.

Thanks
    Andy

7. Joe Azzarelli

Tabb

A part like this would be useful for smaller cameras:
    gimbal_part.jpg

Thanks for all you do!

Joe

8. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Joe, adjustable tilt brackets are on the way! Will update when they are done.

Thanks!

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tabb: I was also wondering whether the camera plate itself is available separately (the boom clamps are but I don't see the plates on QC's web site) -- as I have to fly with several different cameras and each requires customizing -- for example, Joe's modifications at the top of this thread. it would be a lot easier to have dedicated plates for each camera and just mount/de-mount the plates as required.

Thanks
    Andy.

10. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

I will look into that Andy and see that they get added to our spare part list.

Even easier is to have a gimbal for each camera ;)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I was thinking the same thought Tabb, but it gets a bit spendy to equip them all with Radians. ;) (I have two 3-Axis gimbals, already, so I'm doing my bit!) ;)

In my dreams there would be some kind of quick release mount and some way to quickly re-balance the gimbal for the new camera. (Joe's "fence" approach is a start). It's not too bad to have to rip off one gimbal and bolt on another...and it improves the FF cash flow (as I hear you thinking....) <evil grin>

12. Andrew Goodwin

Quick release gimbal would be so great. Andy, how do you transport your gear when you drive places to fly?

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I use partitioned plastic boxes for all the small crunchy bits (e.g. spares, nuts bolts) and then stacking red plastic crates for the transmitters and plastic tubs that fit in the crates for the FPV monitors, etc.

The C8 itself I just park on the floor in the back of an SUV.

I'm thinking of changing that so the C8 would rest on a "bed" of same sized tubs so nothing can drop onto it!

It is certainly not pretty though -- especially when clients say, "You can park here and then we have to hike six hundred yards to where I want to shoot from." Then I break out the folding photographer's handcart, stack up the red plastic crates, and hand the C8 to the client and say, "Could you carry this?" ;) Very quickly the long hike turns into a suboptimal idea.

I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with having to take two gimbals out on a shoot though. They don't stack well. ;)

Andy.

14. Andrew Goodwin

Wow, unreal Andy! Yep, maybe Tabb could come up with a revolutionary new transport method next :D

15. kjetil tønnesen

I see the stands off is 10mm but how higth have you get the cameraplate at the end?

16. Joe Azzarelli

I raised the plate 15mm total, but I have a thin pad on the camera side of the plate. The method was to get close with bigger spacers and then add washers for fine tuning. Your results may vary. I admit the whole thing is a hack, but it is what it is...

There is another way of accomplishing elevating the camera that is simpler but has different challenges. If I get some time I will make some graphics and explain.

Joe

17. kjetil tønnesen

18. Pavlos Antoniou

Joe if you do all the steps you describe then the PAN will be balanced right?? there is no need to do tha PAN balance that Tab describe on the Video..!!

19. Joe Azzarelli

Yes, the last step - balancing the gimbal through the Z (pan) axis is an alternative to Tabb's method.

Joe Azzarelli