/dist/images/branding/favicon

the new iphone 11 and 11 pro ultra wide camera

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by farbrorjoakim, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

What Apple seems to be aiming for is not to make photos that look like they were made with a "real" camera, but to make photos that look perceptively right. In the latest panos I've taken, it's striking how much they look like what you'd expect to see if you turned your head. Older panos look like super-ultra-wide photos.
    Same for the incredible light and color balancing from iPhone 11 Pro photos, including the ultra-wide, Night Mode, and, we assume Deep Fusion.

Of course pro-level cameras have hugely bigger (in megapixels) sensors. And pro lenses are sharper. But with my Panasonic Lumix FZ2500, I often shoot in extended zoom, which results in "only" 10 MP. And not only do the shots look really good, but they're often very difficult or even impossible to obtain with any other lens (except a dedicated tele macro lens costing more than my whole camera outfit, even if one exists).

What's a RED + Leica Noctilux .95 cost?

2. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

The Moment video was an interesting comparison because it highlighted the weakness of the iPhone's ultra wide lens. Everyone says it's soft, which it is, but that demonstration showed it. Frankly, I'm amazed these cameras even work as well as they do, given the ridiculously small footprint. That Lumix is a nice camera.

3. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Meanwhile, there are professionals who say that they like the softer look of the 13mm lens. Their views might be worth at least as much as a couple of Moment YouTube salesmen of no apparent photographic talent, a company that has a vested interest in badmouthing lenses built into smartphones that make their own redundant.

Matteo Bertoli, a professional cinematographer with some important clients, shot most of this video with the 13mm. His views on the lens, which I take more seriously than those of a couple of Moment employees flogging Moment lenses, is in his description. He also made an actual short film, which, while just a test, is more than one can say for the Moment salesmen, who in all the time that they’ve been pushing Moment lenses have not made a single video that was more than a salesman’s vlog.

#63 Rorick Edge, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Mark Phelan likes this.
  4. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Agreed. It can be both, and absolutely they're hawking Moment lenses, of which I own none. His video of the redwoods was great and shows that talent always trumps equipment.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  5. Marc Smith

Marc Smith New Member

Pretty much freefly needs to make a offset clamp then I think the issue would be solved. ( with proper counterweights used of course).

6. Stefan Timm

Stefan Timm New Member

Just a thought: For everyone who wants to use the iPhone 11 Pro and its 0.5 (ultra wide, 13mm) lens with the Movi, maybe it would be possible to create an adapter that allows us to put the phone far enough to the left (with counterweights, of course) that the roll motor is not in the picture anymore. And, of course, share the plan on Thingiverse :)

7. Stephen Hart

Either an offset clamp or an extended snap-on case seems like a solution.

Stefan Timm likes this.
  8. Stefan Timm

Stefan Timm New Member

I bought an iPhone 11 Pro and, like anyone else, was not able to securely place it in the clamp of the MCR (using counterweights, of course), while keeping the roll motor out of the picture when using the ultra wide lens.

So I went to the Apple store and tried with the iPhone 11 Pro Max. As one can see in the picture, this works quite well.

So I went ahead, switched my 11 Pro for a Pro Max, changed the pending order for my Moment Filmmaker case and am now happy so far. Another benefit: it is now easier to distinguish my wife's phone (iPhone XS) from mine :)

9. Stephen Hart

For an iPhone 11, the ideal DIY setup would be a case that fits an iPhone 11 case, so one could cut off a few inches of the bottom of the larger case and glue it onto the regular case to extend its length. (weights needed, of course) Anyone tried this?

10. Stephen Hart

Anyone tried Apple's iPhone 11 Smart Battery Case with the Movi?