/dist/images/branding/favicon

the new iphone 11 and 11 pro ultra wide camera

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by farbrorjoakim, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

Anyone know how the Osmo works without a counterweight? The Movi can handle some degree of out-of-balance, but not that much. Is it just stronger motors?

2. Stephen Hart

There are many mysteries and complications. Precipitate action not advised.

3. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

I tried it again backwards and have to say, it's actually pretty nice. No weights, just backwards. You can see at least half of the screen unobstructed and it's plenty to give you a good idea of what is being recorded. If this were a telephoto, that'd be a no-go. But since it's so wide, you really can see a great deal, enough to capture it without an issue. Granted, this is a dumb way to have to use the most expensive smartphone camera gimbal on the market, but you don't have to add any weights, just flip and go.

4. Stephen Hart

You do lose the on-screen controls. This might work OK for a set-up show, as with Echo mode.

Earlier I wrote: "I also noticed something interesting. If I rotate the Movi clamp, with iPhone installed, to the left, as if to aim away from the motor, the motor goes out of the view, then drifts back in. At least that's what I think I see. Maybe that's the iPhone's stabilization in effect."

This only appears in Filmic Pro, not in the Camera app. Filmic is also using more of the screen, with controls on the right side, so maybe that explains the slightly different view port compared to the Camera app.

5. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Correct. This is not a solution, but a band-aid. What needs to happen is for Freefly to correct the issue AND to add tracking to the Movi. That's what needs to happen. Who wants to run around using their phone and gimbal backwards with no access to the controls? But, if you're caught out and need to get the shot, there is a workaround. Goofy, but it could help in a pinch.

6. Stephen Hart

Yeah. Also, it'd be fun to see if anyone noticed you were using your Movi backward.

Just thinking out loud:
    I'm not sure how Freefly can correct the problem, short of a redesign.
    Maybe a custom case plus a much reduced counterweight system?
    They could build replacement clamp jaws that are extended to the left, but that would have to accommodate buttons when the iPhone is in the normal position.
    Better would be a whole redesigned clamp including the back of the motor housing that's extended an inch to the left. Plus the custom counterweights, of course.
    I have no idea what problems could arise with user replacement of parts, of course.

BTW, the ultra-wide camera is the one under the flash LED.

7. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Right. I'm sure it's frustrating for them to try and predict a moving target. The only way I could see is to redesign the arm. Or, to get Apple to engineer a software mod that angled the 13mm away from the arm, in-camera, when it's attached to the gimbal. Doubt either of these will happen, but who knows.

8. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I think that the practical solutions if one has purchased an 11 Pro are to either return it and pay another $100 for the Pro Max or use the 26mm and 52mm lenses with the MCR and the 13mm handheld.*

My own experience so far, and YouTube examples, tell me that the 11 series phones are very stable handheld, including the “unstabilized” 13mm.

This walking video was shot handheld on an 11 Pro by someone who has used an MCR for several other 11 Pro walking videos: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...on-filming-without-a-gimbal.13297/#post-89201

There are more examples of 11 series handheld shooting in that thread, starting at post #9: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...on-filming-without-a-gimbal.13297/#post-89098

* I haven’t seen anything yet on how well the standard iPhone 11 works with the MCR.

#48 Rorick Edge, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Mark Phelan likes this.
  9. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

This is probably what I will do myself, because I do like being able to have a mic attached while using the gimbal. To your point, being able to hold a 13mm lens is really not an issue due to how wide the field of view is. Saw another handheld clip that was using the 11 Pro Max, handheld with a shoulderpod. The results are outstanding.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  10. Rorick Edge

Yes, that’s the first example that I used in the thread I started on shooting with these phones without a gimbal: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...on-filming-without-a-gimbal.13297/#post-89098

I’ve been a subscriber to Bertoli’s channel for a long time, and when he uploaded that video I realised that this was a serious option. People should read what he says about iPhone 11 stabilisation in his YouTube description section.

11. Stephen Hart

Might want to look at this:

"If you place the iPhone 11 Pro properly balanced on the Mobile 3 the ultra wide lens shows the edge of the motor in the frame. ... You can place the iPhone 11 Pro in an unbalanced position that hides the motor in the ultra wide view and the Osmo Mobile 3 seems to still be able to handle the phone but I'm not sure if you will overheat the motor or if it will appear unstable, I haven't done significant testing."

https://forum.dji.com/thread-198814-1-1.html

Does not make me want to rush out and buy a Mobile 3.

Mark Phelan likes this.
  12. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

I went to the Apple Store today to play with the Osmo Mobile 3. Put my 11 Pro into the mount with its silicone case and can report I did not see the mount when viewed in the 13mm ultra wide. I didn't have the DJI Mimo app running, so not sure if that makes any difference. Came home ready to return my MCR but remembered that little detail of not being able to mount a mic on the Osmo.

So I'm keeping the MCR because I really do like it and if I have to, I can use the ultra wide lens backwards. It's really an extremely good gimbal that I like the build quality of and its many features.

Plus, I might still buy the Osmo because it has a few features the MCR does not. Neither one is perfect and they're both good. Détente. I'll have one of each.

13. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Having thought more about it, I'm definitely keeping the Movi CR. It's a fine bit of kit and with Filmic Pro, works wonders. Definitely still worth the money.

Marc Smith likes this.
  14. Stephen Hart

The Osmo Mobile 3 appears to have a tripod socket on the bottom. Why not attach a base plate to that and a mic mount on the other end of the base plate?

15. Rorick Edge

You could do this with any gimbal that can be mounted on a tripod, including the MCR. The 150mm/6” cheese plate that I talked about in the following post would be perfect: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...ming-without-a-gimbal.13297/page-2#post-89243 You’d just need a male 1/4”-20 to male 1/4”-20 adapter.

With the Osmo, I would position the plate so that it and the mike are well away from the handle in order to avoid picking up handling noise.

16. Stephen Hart

Rorick Edge likes this.
  17. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

The folks at Moment make a good case for why using their setup is still preferable to the ultra wide on the iPhone.

18. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Wouldn't that make setting the gimbal down problematic? That's one feature I like about the Movi. Also seems like Freefly would have done better by simply molding a cold shoe into the top of the handle so you wouldn't have to use the falcon cover gizmo.

19. Stephen Hart

Well, sure. You could use a "cheese plate" instead of a narrow base plate, or add some other kind of base: a mini tripod or maybe even a pair of mini tripods. Rube Goldberg comes to mind.
    But you'd also have the same problem with an iPhone mounted on a simple handle, hence the attraction of mini tripods that double as handles.

I also chose the Movi for its ability to be simply set down, as I thought about using in on gravelly trails, where I definitely don't want my iPhone doing a face plant.

20. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

HA! Exactly. At what point does one stop futzing around with a smartphone and get a real camera setup? There's only so much resolution and bandwidth from a smartphone sensor. It's great to see tech marching forward, but physics takes over at some point, which granted, is a moving target. Watching the Moment video about how their wide angle is still better than the Apple ultra wide made me laugh a bit because the Moment lens is a far cry from a RED with a Leica Noctilux .95 attached. What price pain?