/dist/images/branding/favicon

Compass Error - Roll failure

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Kevin Descheemaeker, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hi

Today we had a Flying-Cam flight in Beijing China with out 2 MōVI M10 setups. The 2 setups are identical (same firmware, same rig, same camera, ...), one was working more than perfect, but the other one was failing on its roll function when we took of.

The camera was proper balanced and all the connectors where attached as it should be. On the Freefly Configurator software we noticed an COMPASS ERROR and the rig itself was oscillating. When the helicopter landed the roll was bending to the left side and it took a couple minutes when he balanced the horizon properly.

Any one out here that experienced the same issue?

Greetz
    Kevin

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Kevin: I apologize -- I changed the name of the thread from "Compaq" to "Compass" -- I think that is what you meant and it will help people find this thread in the future when they search.

Was the Compass Error that you go when you were near the helicopter? In other words was the metal mass of the helicopter causing the error?

Andy.

3. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hi Andy

Thanks for the adjustment I couldn't find how to edit it.

The M10 rig is rigged to an RC Helicopter of Flying-Cam.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Kevin:
    Hmm. Let me check with the folks at FF.
    Andy.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Perhaps the recent solar storms were impacting it.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good point, Gary -- now you mention it, I remember reading that solar storms do affect the Earth's magnetic field, so you may well be right.

Andy.

7. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hi Andy & Gary

Well that could be a good valid point however we had 2x FF M10 on set and with the other set we flew without any problem.
    Shoot was at a remote location in Beijing / China.

Kevin

IMG_0815.JPG

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Now that's an impressive rig!
    As you say, it's puzzling that the other M10 worked OK.
    I'm not near a MōVI right now, so I've emailed FF to ask if there is any special compass calibration procedure that might account for a difference between the two M10s.

Andy.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The words from FF (courtesy of Bryan) are:

From the 4.01 release notes:​

"When set to GPS this will allow for increased performance during higher accelerations common when used with a multi-rotor platform. Set to Compass for increased handheld performance. A Declination value should be set when in Compass." ​

We calibrate the compass on each MōVI here in Woodinville, so each MōVI should have the same base calibration on it. But to do a manual calibration, you can choose System::Compass Calibration. It will pop up a warning that calibration is not necessary during normal conditions, but will tell you that a terminal window will pop up and give you the step by step instructions and gives you a "Start" button.​

So, it might be worth trying a compass calibration on the unit that's acting up...I'm just speculating that that might be the difference between the two units....but it really is just baseless speculation, I'm afraid. I'm told I'm good at that... :rolleyes:

Andy.