/dist/images/branding/favicon

Smart OSD issues

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by jesse ryan, May 29, 2014.

1. jesse ryan

jesse ryan New Member

So… I got my smart odd a few weeks ago, installed it, but I had a issue. the main flight screen is coming through in static and not centered in the monitor, but the other screens are clear but slightly off centered in the monitor. all the while the video from the fpv camera is fine.

thoughts?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

check to make sure you are in the right video mode. Probably ships in PAL mode. Also you can adjust centering in the menus.

3. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Same thing here, with the brand new firmware. I have moved everything up and down a bit to make it fit. It seams that left and right is ok.
    What FPV camera du you have?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, what monitor are you viewing the FPV video on -- I've found that *that* can be the cause of some positioning problems.

Have you also adjusted the two potentiometers on the Smart OSD board for optimal image quality -- it's a bit tedious and you'll find that one pot. interacts with the other one, so plan on spending 20 minutes fiddling with it.

Andy.

5. jesse ryan

jesse ryan New Member

ok so I didn't realize you needed the smart osd manager (sorry, Im new to this whole thing) so I went and downloaded it but now I can't get the osd to connect to the computer… I just get a notification that says "unknown device"

I've tried to find where I can open a com port but I can't seem to find where to do that in windows 7. I've gone through several tutorials on how to do so but still can't figure it out. my menus in the computer don't have the same options as the tutorials do… Seriously lost.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jesse:
    You're a little outside the scope of support for this forum (which is really for Freefly products), but let me give it a shot any way:

Try clicking on the Start button and then you should see a search program and files window right above the start button. Enter "device manager" (don't type the quotes) -- by the time you've finished "device" you should a list open up -- near the top under Control Panel you'll see device manager -- click on that. It will then present a list of all the hardware devices by type. Look under COM & LPT. That's where you will see the USB ports. If you have the Smart OSD plugged in, unplug it and see what happens under COM & LPT -- the drop down list closes and you may have to re-open it. But the first question is when you plug it, does a new device show up?

However, the larger issue is that you cannot really do much to force the connection with Device Manager -- it's more just reporting status.

The fact that you're seeing "unknown device" when you connect up the Smart OSD via the USB port suggests that you don't have the necessary software (aka device drivers) installed to allow the computer to talk to the SOSD. You may need to contact the folks at http://smart-electronics.eu/index.php/en/smart-osd -- they have a FAQ and a contact page at http://smart-electronics.eu/index.php/en/kontakt/kontakt-serwis

Hope this helps.
    Andy.