/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK BL3.0 prices posted

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Steve Maller, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good catch, Steve.

Anyone else feeling a bit queasy about having the BL-Ctrl's integrated four to a board -- if one blows I don't think you can do anything but replace the board? (Makes me think of a Toyota Sienna with run-flat tires -- one blows and you often have to replace all four! AMHIK.)

Not sure whether you can separate the Double Quadro 2XL Combi into two Quadro's if a BL-Ctrl goes to BL-Ctrl heaven either.

Interesting to see the MK3644 motor, though. $109 (less without VAT), 6S max, 490 kV, max current 30 A (30-sec), 40 A (5-sec), max thrust 3Kg. So on CS8, that could generate a total of 24 Kg (52 lbs) of thrust in burst mode. Respectable! Without payload? That would definitely be per Lipo, ad astra!

We live in interesting times....
    Andy.

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I think the prices are not that high when compared to the previous BL Ctrl 2.0 prices. This is the best news for MK community after the ACC upgrade.

Now, MK controllers need some nice housing for protecting them.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Good catch. Anyone find this interesting?
    Note: The BL-Ctrl 3.0 controller is specifically designed and optimized for our motors. For maximum stability of the MikroKopter setpoints are set almost instantaneously on the motor. If other motors (especially larger power classes) are used with this controller, this fast change of setpoints can easily lead to very high peak currents, which bring the BL-Ctrl control to the limit or an overload. This is no fault of BL-Ctrl3.0 controller, but a systemic property. Please consider carefully whether a different motor is suitable.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. The new BL-Ctrl uses active braking to slow the motors down when the FC needs to down-throttle, and I suspect that will cause some interest peaks and valleys in the current going to/from a motor. It also appears that the firmware is also going to increase motor current pretty aggressively too.

So now instead of worrying about the BL-Ctrl's melting we'll need to worry about the motors melting.... <evil grin>

Andy.

6. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Just finished up a series of tests this afternoon with the Double Quadro 2XL ESCs on a CS8-500mm with Tiger 4012's.

Very comfortable flights just under 10min with QP 6S/10Amp, MoVI w/ Red Scarlet and the Paralix Tomahawk HD link. The 4012s are 480kv, same as the MK3644. Everything ran nice and cool, granted its around 35F in Montana right now.

Flies like a champ, very exciting indeed!

Greetings,
    Adam

Steve Maller and Gary McCready like this.
  7. Dave King

Adam, was this with one battery? Also are you testing the U5 motors?

8. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Adam is it easy to double up the Quadro 2XL ESCs?

9. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Now us CS6 users gotta wait for a Hexa board!

10. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello,

Yes, this was a single QP 6S/10Amp lipo. U5's are in the house...so much time, so little to do...o_O

Jason--it would be possible however there would not be any significant cost savings in going that route. The Double Quadro 2XL (I'll just refer to it as DQ2X) is delivered pre-assembled.

Greetings,
    Adam

11. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hey Gary,

Yea, my trusty CS6 will have to wait too. The new Hexa PDR will be an excellent pairing with the M5/MkIII. They say end Jan/early Feb. on the Hexa Board.

Greetings,
    Adam

12. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

New and faster BL that is interesting.:)
    Our motors??
    I always thought that a brusshless motor is a simple thing, what differense is there between motors??

Regards.

/Janne

13. pål åge røstad

pål åge røstad New Member

Total wight and props on the rig?:)

Pål

14. Dave King

You are correct a motor is a motor but now even the new line of tiger motors are much more efficient which result in cooler temps, smoother flights and less vibration. Take a look at the new U series (U5 in particular) and see the new designs built into the new motors.

The main thing is the combination of the improved motor controller and the new electronics in the new 2.5 flight control board. Not only does the new software and electronics respond and perform better but now it allows you to easily use 6S batteries for better flight times. Until now if you wanted a heavy lifter you needed to use an aftermarket motor control set in conjunction with a I2C converter which resulted in "somewhat" performance issues.

15. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Same warning Holger posted with earlier model MK ESCs. I don't like being restricted to one type of motor. Sure you can use other motors but look at what history tells you in doing that....over heating ESCs. I'll be staying away from these controllers. MK is awesome but the speed controllers always seemed to operate on a very specific thin fine line. Looks like they will be offered as single independent controllers too.

image.jpg

16. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

How about this?:
    "IMPORTANT: Use Flight Ctrl Firmware V2.02 (or greater)."
    Which is not even out yet?? We are still on v2.01h beta.

17. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Out now;

http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/Download

/Janne