/dist/images/branding/favicon

Take off behavior with CS3

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Nick Cheim, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Nick Cheim

Nick Cheim New Member

Hello. i would like your opinion about a problem with take off of my copter.

I balanced the copter with the gimbal on z,x,y axis with the camera mount (canon 550d) on it and when i take it to the field for test i decide do not mount my cam at first.

When i try to take off i see that the copter lifted the middle foot of the gimbal and push the two front legs on front as a result to hit my two front props on the ground. I recalibrate compass, went to other point , ensure level etc. Then i rotate the top frame and i see that some motors have more speed from others on lift off. My question is . Can the camera be the cause of all of this behavior as i haven't mount it and of course i dont even thought it er these?
    The copter was fly with great stability without cs3.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick:
    By CS3 do you mean a Cinestar 6 or 8 with a 3-axis gimbal?

The most likely cause is that one or more motors are spinning the wrong way, or that one or more props are mounted either on the wrong motors or upside down.

With the copter on your workbench, remove the props and verify that all the motors are spinning the correct way.
    This may be useful for you: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/Setting_Up#Checking_direction_of_the_Props

Andy.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Are you running MK gear? Sounds like you may have inadvertently done an ACC calibration at some point when the copter wasn't level. Open up MK tools and check the 3d view. If it's not level in 3d but your copter is, then you need to rw calibrate. The 3 axis gimbal should have any influence unless your gear legs were stuck in the ground.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick and now a word from the other moderator :) If the copter flies fine without the 3 axis gimbal (assuming that's what you mean by the CS3) and when you attach the gimbal you experience a problem then the likely cause is that the copter overall is not balanced, in fact might be way off balance. Please review the "How to" videos on balancing at http://www.youtube.com/user/FreeFlySystems/videos. Look for the videos for the 3 axis gimbal.

5. Nick Cheim

Nick Cheim New Member

Thanks for response.

Yes i mean the 3 axis gimbal as cs3. My copter is custom built by me with vulkan frames.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Has the copter ever worked correctly? Or did you just take delivery of it? I guess, what I'm trying to ask is whether this is a new fault and the copter has been working correctly up to now....or have you only just started flying it?

Andy.

7. Nick Cheim

Nick Cheim New Member

Yes this is my first try with the gimbal. Until now i had made a very few test flights without the 3-axis gimbal and it seems very stable. I will try to reduce my weight and i will try it with the camera on it after a new balance.

8. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hi Nick,

If you balance the heli with the camera on board and then don't put the camera on for the test flight you will be unbalanced.
    Each option needs to be balanced :)
    In other words test fly with your camera on and you will see things level out

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

A CS 3axis mount isn't really heavy enough to cause an out of balance issue by itself especially to the point where you can't get off the ground.

Nick, did you solve your issue? What type of Flight controller are you running?

10. Nick Cheim

Nick Cheim New Member

Hi
    Sorry for the delay. I have the DJI Wookong M as flight controller. I try a number of things such i reduce my weight, make check all connections, rebalance gimbal at all from the beginning, and with support of another more experiense rc friend that he told me to change the IMU to the V2 alluminium version i make a new test flight.
    This time my weight was 9,2Kg (1,3Kg less), and it was fly without problem.
    I dont know if the problem was my V1 IMU and my weight, but with some searching on the net i found that the same behavior has some people when upgrade the WKM to latest Ver 5.26. This upgrade i had done before the first try with my gimbal 2 weeks ago, when my succesful flights without the gimbal was with the firmware 5.24. I don't know if it is true but some people say that with upgrades you take something when the same time you loose something. The DJI has already say that the V1 IMU is for less than 7Kg multicopters when the V2 is the upgrade brother for the heavy lift models.
    Anyway i will continue my tests lb to lb as my target is the RED Epic camera and HD videolink.