/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt Bearing Issues

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Matt McTurk, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Matt McTurk

Matt McTurk New Member

I was playing around with my 360 Gimbal and noticed that there seems to be some friction in the bearings for my tilt. I took the belt off to verify it wasn`t the motor, and I still had the problem. Based on that, I am assuming it is the 2 bearings on the tilt mount. My question is does anyone know what the bearing size is, and if I can just press in new bearings in those spots? I just want to be able to buy bearings from my local supplier as I don't want to wait for 2 bearings to come from the USA (I'm in Canada). Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Matt: Before you replace anything, loosen the screws holding the bearing on the right hand side (viewed from the rear) of the gimbal to the point that it can rotate around the boom. You might also need to do the same thing on the left hand side (viewed from the rear) as well.

Sometimes what can happen is that the bearings get tweaked and are not actually parallel or actually on the same axis and that creates that resistance you're describing. Loosening the right hand one will often allow the bearing to self-adjust and come back into alignment.

Let me know if this helps.

Andy.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

It's either the bearings or it could be that the shaft mounts have been rotated on the tube causing friction. If the shaft on the left and on the right aren't perfectly aligned that could be causing fiction

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

What he said

5. Matt McTurk

Matt McTurk New Member

Hey Guys Thank You very much. I never did think about the potential for misalignment. I did exactly what you said and it works fine now. I hope you guys never retire from this forum cause your a wealth of knowledge that can't be replaced.

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Excellent! Usually the simplest option is the best.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Glad we were able to help.
    Andy.