/dist/images/branding/favicon

5D auto focus video modes

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Jean Gabriel Taboada, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Jean Gabriel Taboada

Hi guys,

which mode do you guys shooitng video with the 5D use? i use quick mode and i am not very happy with the results.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jean I think most folks use manual focus. Maybe different for a mirrorless camera.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The 5D doesn't continually focus, those are functions of a camcorder. If your set in autofocus you can push the shutter halfway to get a focus, after that it won't change. So basically autofocus is pointless. Just set it to manual and focus before you fly. If you want to pull focus in flight you will need something to manually focus at the barrel or do it electronically, but I haven't explored that option.

4. Matt McCarthy

Matt McCarthy Member

Jean I agree with Gary and Brad manual focus is a must and infact manual everything on a 5D is the way forward. What I always do is zoom in to set the focus correctly and then tape off the focus ring so there is no movement on it, and 99% of the time I,d set it at infinity as for me this produces the best results same with auto exposure I almost always use manual I pick an exposure and go with it as I find Auto exposure ruins the picture far to often.
    Matt

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve Maller likes this.
  6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Just a reminder for Jean Gabriel, infinity focus on Canon lenses is well short of the infinity mark in the window. Follow Matt's procedure and you'll do well

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And make a note of where 'infinity' is for each lens on a card so that you can dial it in quickly each time. Works great on prime lens, but if you use a zoom many times the spot is not the same at different zoom positions.

8. Matt McCarthy

Matt McCarthy Member

Hey Andy
    it,s not that 'I' would't use hyperfocal distance as I understand depth of field and how to manipulate it using aperture, but (and absolutely no offence to Jean here) it sounded as though he was just getting his head around the basics of mode selection and to try and understand hyperfocal aperture manipulation is just plain confusing when it comes to focus. I was just trying to keep it simple for him to achieve better results.