/dist/images/branding/favicon

Vibration issue with M5 whilst moving

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by chrisprescot, Jul 4, 2018.

1. chrisprescot

chrisprescot New Member

I've been having issues with the M5 since I bought it about 6 months ago. When we do any sort of moving shot (especially running) it produces a lot of visible vibration in the image (which coincides with feet hitting the floor). I've checked motor stiffness and tried it at various different levels but it makes no difference, it's also definitely not caused by motor oscillation (as far as I can see). Any suggestions on how to solve the problem? It's mounted with a Sony FS5.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Can you post a sample of some footage that shows the problem?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi darkskymedia, welcome to the forum.
    If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

The problem you are experiencing is because you are inducing a vertical motion as you walk. This has been discussed before on the forum here: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/reducing-up-down-bobbing.12278/#post-83776

The short answer is walk like Groucho Marx or pretend you're carrying two cups of coffee, both cups very full and you need to avoid spilling the coffee! :)

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. chrisprescot

chrisprescot New Member

Apologies for the slow reply on this. I've uploaded a clip if you're able to take a look. This isn't the same thing as the normal vertical motion expected when using a gimbal (I have plenty of experience using one previously). It appears to be a micro vibration and occurs both when using the Movi Ring and the handlebars.

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Can you post your settings for tuning and hold strengths?

6. chrisprescot

chrisprescot New Member

I generally just auto tune and then adjust the stiffness settings until it goes into oscillation and then back it off as recommended in the manual. The vibration seems to occur at any tuning settings

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Chris: Are you tuning it while you hold it as you intend to use it? If not, you'll find that the autotuning + manual tweaking will yield false results....

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. chrisprescot

chrisprescot New Member

Hi Andy, I've always tuned whilst the Movi is on the stand, I'll give that a try. Thanks

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's most likely the problem -- while it's on the stand, it doesn't sense the actual resonant frequencies of the setup, including the dampening effect of your hands holding it -- hence the aphorism "tune it like you use it!" :)

Cheers
    Andy