/dist/images/branding/favicon

Reducing Up-Down Bobbing

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by John Woody, May 1, 2018.

1. John Woody

John Woody Member

Question to our experienced users of the Movi. Any hints, settings, etc. that I could try to reduce the ever so slight, up-down bobbing effect when attempting a walking shot. Appreciate any ideas and thanks!

John M Woody
    Professor Emeritus
    Apple Distinguished Educator
    https://vimeo.com/channels/iedithd/179049011

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi John: FAQ #11 here might be of some help. The short answer is "Groucho Marx walk!" :)

Cheers
    Andy

Chris Harrison and John Woody like this.
  3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

John do a search here on the forum for the 'silly walk'. Monty Python's John Cleese had the perfect walk when he did the silly walk. Basically use the knees as a shock absorber in an exaggerated manner keeping the upper body stationary. This technique is the same as used with the full size MoVI's when being handheld.

Chris Harrison and John Woody like this.
  4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Please shoot selfie video of yourself doing the John Cleese Ministry of Silly Walks impression, though John. Personally I vote for Groucho!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The best advice I've tried is to hold two nearly-full glasses of water in your hands and walk with them without spilling. That will give you an idea of what you need to do.

Seriously, give it a try. I thought it was just words to help you imagine what to do, but it was super helpful to physically go to my kitchen, grab some glasses of water, and actually walk with them.

John Woods, Zach Nagle and John Woody like this.
  6. John Woody

John Woody Member

Thanks Graham. I’ll try this tomorrow. Going into training! Appreciate the advice!

John M Woody
    Professor Emeritus

7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's definitely an exercise straight out of 'Karate Kid'.

8. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

We also call it "Ninja Walk" :D Check out YouTube with this keyword, you will find a lot of examples, tips and hints which helped me.

John Woody likes this.
  9. John Woody

John Woody Member

Graham... I walked many times with two glasses of water and can honestly say it's been very helpful. (My wife was looking at me a bit strangely... I just called it my retired walk!) I did figure out a method that seems to give some smoother shots... walk slower, bend my knees slightly... but i'm locking my arms with bent elbows out away from my body. this seems to be getting me some smoother shots. it's a challenge for sure... but getting better. Thanks for everyone's help.
    John

Zach Nagle likes this.