/dist/images/branding/favicon

Star plate screws too short?

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Tuukka Ylonen, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

The star plate that comes with the Movi MR kit is much thicker than the original one. Thus the screws that go through the star plate and into the vibration dampeners protrude only a little bit into the metal bits on the vibration dampener.

I used threadlock but nevertheless I am a little worried. Do you think the connection is durable enough? I have a Red Epic onboard. I am slightly worried.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tuuka are the ends of the screws all the way through and flush with the press nut head? If so then that is all that is needed. Makes sense to use LocTite. Use the purple 222 not the more popular Red. The Red is sometimes to strong and you may have issues removed the screw.

3. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi Gary as the screws go into the vibration dampeners, they do not go into press nuts. They go into the black aluminium standoffs.
    I think the screws go about 2mm into the standoffs and that is not much I think.

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Tuukka you are right, I was thinking about another spot.

But you should have received as part of the kit 5 M3x8's. This is the parts list.

• Qty 3 - Carbon Landing Gears
    • Qty 2 - 25mm Carbon Landing Gear Tubes with Quick Attach Plates
    • Qty 1 - 4mm Carbon Mounting Plate
    • Qty 5 - M3x10 Socket Head Screws
    • Qty 9 - M3x8 Socket Head Screws
    • Qty 9 - M3x8 Button Head Screws
    • Qty 3 - Landing Gear Extenders

5. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

There are 9 M3x8 socket head screws. 4 of them go into the landing gear. There are 5 left and the star plate would need 6.
    So to my understanding they are not meant for the star plate.

The M3x8 button head screws go into the landing gear extensions I think. The longer screws are needed because the extensions are mounted between the landing gear halves. And the extensions need six screws, so there would be only three left.

The 5 M3x10 are needed to mount the star plate into the gimbal. Not plate into the copter.

After this there are not screws left to mount the star plate/gimbal into the copter.
    So have people used the old short button head screws or something else?

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The screws in the kit are not for the leg gear extensions. When you but the leg gear extensions they come with their own set of screws. I see I typed 5 screws, should have been 9. I used the button heads on the star plate and the socket head on attaching the two leg sets.

Send a note to the support email but I believe this is correct.

7. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

At least my landing gear extensions came with the multirotor conversion kit. I ended up using 10mm button heads on the lg extensions and 8mm button heads on the star plate. Seems like a good solution.

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Tuukka I'll check with FF on Monday. The parts list sounds like it is short the six screws for the ldg gear extensions. I had a preliminary kit and it was missing the extensions.