/dist/images/branding/favicon

Damaged sensor in Movi M5?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by William Fitzgerald, May 8, 2017.

1. William Fitzgerald

William Fitzgerald New Member

I had my Movi M5 out in AZ for a shoot, during which it was working fine. I think the baggage handlers on the flight back mistreated it, because upon returning to NY I had this issue:

I tried auto-tuning it a few times, and if anything it just got worse. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi William,

Can you manually reduce the Stiffness of your Tilt Motor in the app? Does that reduce the vibrations? AutoTune is good at getting you close, but I often have to make some adjustments manually.

What percentage of AutoTune do you use? And What Stiffness settings are you getting for your Pan, Tilt, and Roll motors?

3. William Fitzgerald

William Fitzgerald New Member

Hi Graham,

I packed it up to drop off for servicing, so I can't quote the values right now. Typically, I set everything manually - including tilt stiffness and window. I just tried auto tune in a desperate attempt to see if it would stop the vibrating. It didn't. The thing is, all the values were set and working perfectly - so it doesn't really matter what they were set at - because they were where I wanted them for the camera I had mounted.

It seems to me the problem is a hardware issue, not a settings issue. Nothing was changed in the settings - and yet the rig started acting up after the baggage handlers had their way with it. It has to be a loose or damaged sensor, no? Fiddling with settings won't fix that I imagine. It would just be changing them to values I don't want them to be at. Again, I had it clocked in exactly where I wanted it for that camera, and it was working perfectly. Until American Airlines got ahold of it...

Unless the tilt settings got erased somehow while the rig was powered off and in transit, without erasing the pan settings? Is that even possible?

I'm really looking for guidance on how to check the tilt sensor, but I'm thinking it probably needs to be sent to Freefly...