/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta 8 PPM erroneous readings with Dragonlink

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by John Santry, Nov 1, 2016.

1. John Santry

John Santry New Member

Hello all,

We installed a V3 Dragon Link on Alta 8 and we're getting some erroneous visual readings in the Radio Mapper once its all hooked up and configured. Videos attached. From reading the manual, I understand that the Synapse midpoint is 1500ms, full up/fwd deflection is 2000ms, and back/down is 1000ms. I adjusted subtrims to get center points as close to 1500 as possible, and then we set end points to ensure servo travel was hitting the 2000/1000 mark. Actual values are more like ~2009 and ~992 when fully deflected. But they rapidly fluctuate when held at the extreme point by a few micro seconds. ie if you hold a full throttle command the ms jumps around faster than you can really read , and the numbers range from like 2002-2009. Same thing happens in neutral... the number jumps around by a few ms at 1500. The visual indication from the Radio Mapper even shows erratic deflections into other modes. We haven't flown with Dragonlink yet because I want to understand this issue before we go up in the air. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. Wondering if this is just a normal read out for PPM systems do to the information relay or something.

Normal Alta 8 operation with Futaba connected

Same Alta 8 aircraft with Dragonlink V3 Connected

2. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Update your dlink to the latest firmware. Go into the dlink app and change the channel output to Sbus (on channel 8 for example). The dlink will now act just like your sbus futaba :) Also note you might want make sure the dlink is in V2 protocol and unmodulated.

3. NickB

NickB New Member

I was able to get a stable connection with a dragon link v3 slim unit. Futaba 14SG, DL receiver and Synapse set to PPM. I had to play with the receiver baud. It’s currently set at 9600 and seems to be stable with Synapse. Pin 8 on the DL receiver seems to work better for some reason so use that one for your PPM output.

There was an issue getting the motors to initialize but I was able to fix the problem by increasing the travel of the yaw (channel 4) from 100 to 110% in the Futaba function menu. This seemed to push the dragon link signal far enough to get a good arm and motor power on.