/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can't get my copter to hold position. Gps doesn't seem to communicate with FC

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Robert Sheehan, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Robert Sheehan

Robert Sheehan New Member

I am using the graupner mx20 and have the MK2.1 fc and gps/navi. Flying this thing is like flying a toy. I can control it but it is useless at the moment as I have no gps hold. Don't know what to do next. Fed up and ready to switch to the dji A2 system or the Align APS-M but not sure if it will work with the escs.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Robert Sheehan

Thank you for the name change suggestion.
    Still in need of help with my multirotor. I own 3 other uavs and this is the only one that has been giving me problems. I also own an Align M690L, a DJI s1000, and a DJI Phantom 3 Professional. So somebody please help me out a little bit if you have the knowledge. Thank you very much.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Robert: Could you provide a little more information, please? When you connect MK Tool to the MK 2.1FC can get MK Tool to report on GPS status?

Thanks
    Andy

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

i had few issues with 2.08f navi old software. I emailed microkopter and they said "please try the V2.10f Software for the NaviCtrl.
    There the GPS-Fix Problem is solved"

6. Robert Sheehan

No gps in mk tool. This build started in 2014 and I have never had the bird hold properly. The radio was already set up for it. A graupner mx20. Says I have 2.10c. I am wondering of the fc is faulty. It has been back to MK in Germany twice for service and although those problems were fixed, the gps is still an issue. I am ready to swith the whole system to wookong or A2 but will have to basically reconfigure the whole thing. The m690 costed a third of what this one did and is solid in flight. With almost the same payload. So it is a bit frustrating.

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Have you verified if PH is actually engaging? Is it giving you a toilet bowl effect or just not working? Have you tried recalibrating the compass?

8. Robert Sheehan

PH and CH do nothing. As I said, gps does not seem to be communicating properly. I get gps lock... get no gps effect. This is really wierd.

9. Dave King

Can I ask have you confirmed the switch on the radio is actually engaging PH? Have you verified it through MK tools or looked at the GPX files to see if GPS mode is actually turning on/off?

Sounds to me like maybe the switch you are using to turn it on/off isn't assigned to GPS in MK tools through a POTI.

10. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Or you have a bad cable from navi to fc or navi to gps

11. Robert Sheehan

Ok so maybe I need to start from the beginning. When I go into mk tool the configuration was set to octo2b. This configuration looks correct other than the flight angle... it shows the red line going from motor 4 through motor 2 instead of center of copter through motor 1.
    I don't know how to see if I am getting gps. Once I was able to figure it out and forgot how to do it but it did say my gps wasn't communicating with the controller.
    I did make sure gps switch and channel coincided. I have gps on ch 6 and it registers correctly.
    I am not sure if PIDS are correct but are the same as when the copter came from the store.
    Some of the stuff I just don't get.
    I wish I had photos of screen shots for a working system. So far this is costing me a lot of time and money.
    Cables are all good. Even tried replacing them.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Robert:
    You may already have this, but in the interest of being helpful: http://wiki.mikrokopter.de/en/MK-Parameter (you get to this screen in MK Tool by clicking on Setting.

Click on the various buttons at the top of the page to see details of each Tab.

And, with the proviso that this is shamelessly self-serving: http://rathergoodguides.com/mikrokopter-tool.html

To address the specifics:
    1. Yes, the red line must go from the center to motor number 1. Click and drag it to the right position. This not being correct will cause major problems such as you describe as the red line marks the "nose" of the aircraft.

2. When you first start up MK Tool there are four squares at the lower center of the screen, the colors of which reflect the status of the subsystems.

3. The GPS on channel 6 merely determines which channel you're using for GPS Hold, not whether the GPS is functioning or not.

4. Don't worry about PIDs until later.

5. Sorry, but I'm not sure what you "don't get." :) Give me a clue, please.

It is frustrating to get started. Ask me how I know. That's why I did the video for which I gave you the link above.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

Dave King likes this.
  13. Robert Sheehan

Thanks so much, Andy. I wish I could show you my A2 or APS-M interface. You will immediately see why I have become spoiled with flight controller user interface software. The MK Tool seems so over complicated. I will check out the links and see what I can come up with then.
    As far as what I don't get...
    I will write it down when I get back in MK Tool. That way it will make more sense than me trying to go off of memory. I will be back so please be patient with me and again, I appreciate your help.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not a problem, Robert -- do make a point of grabbing a glass of "beverage" and hunkering down and reading the web pages for MK Tool, though. The difference is that MK decided to open up their whole interface for the Flight Controller (including making the source code available), so you see all the inner workings, parameters, and yukky stuff. :)

This gives you huge amount of flexibility, but the downside is that it also provides for the opportunity to really badly screw things up, enjoy endless hours of frustration, and/or convert a carbon fiber copter into a "biscuit tin job." (So called because all of the pieces of wreckage are small enough to fit into a biscuit tin.)

Andy.

15. Robert Sheehan

So I can't drag the line. Only move it with arrows. One configuration, octo2b which is default, looks more like my copter. But Octo 2 looks like more of a square pattern but with the red line in the correct position

16. Dave King

Robert

IN case you are unaware. Andy has everything you need to make sure your MK copter is setup correctly. I highly recommend these videos. I purchased them when I did my Cinestar builds http://rathergoodguides.com/videos.html
    The go over everything from building the copters, to the electronics, to the radio setup, to MX tools its extremely helpful. It's considered the copter bible. An absolute must in my opinion.

17. Robert Sheehan

Ok... I didn't join a forum to buy anything. That's not the idea or purpose of joining a forum.

18. Dave King

Just trying to help by recommending a quick and easy way for you to solve your issues so that you can get out there and get going. The Mikrokopter wiki is very hard to understand and their german to english translation isn't the best. If you don't want to buy the video I understand. Hopefully everything above can help you fix your problems. Best of luck.

19. Robert Sheehan

I definitely appreciate the help either way. I apologize if I came off "short". I bought this based on a suggestion and the reviews I had seen of the mikrokopter flight system. Now I am seeing a lot of alterations to the flight system... namely the wookong swap.
    I figured with the added payload I could run a Red cam but now after seeing the build and the not so user friendly flight system, I believe I made a mistake. But it's a lot of money to stick in the closet and I can't stand the idea of letting this thing get the best of me. So I really do appreciate all of the help.