/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi transmission 30ft?

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Stuart Sharpless, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Stuart Sharpless

Stuart Sharpless New Member

Hello there first post, for some reason not able to log into my existing account so have created a new one.

We are having range issues with the movie and get about 20-30feet before losing all connection. We are based in Hong Kong so the system was shipped out on the EU setting. We have changed the power settings, testing each time and still only get the same amount of distance.

We then tried moving away from where we are incase there is any issues with transmission interference. Tried 4 separate locations but same situation.

Went through all the manuals but don’t seem to see any help there. I am wondering if it is something simple that we are doing wrong? hope so…

I am about to start linking it to one of our Futaba 18mz transmitters but that really defeats the purpose of why we got the movi controller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Have you tried using a different channel on both the MōVI Controller and the receiver, Stuart? I use channel 6.

There's just a chance that you happen to have really strong radio frequency interference on the current channel you're using -- it would be worth trying another channel just to see -- I realize you tried four different locations but I don't know, geographically, how far apart they were.

If that doesn't work, you may need to open up a support ticket by sending email to support@freeflysystems.com.

Thanks
    Andy

3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Try all the different channels.

We had one occasion in one street in Adelaide where we had such strong interference from something that we had no control.
    (It was only for one block).

4. Stuart Sharpless

Thanks for the answers guys, we tried 3 channels, geographically 100m for two attempts then 10 miles away for the other two attempts. I mapped all settings to the futaba yesterday and am going out now to retest.

Good idea on trying all channels though will give that a go. Although if it is working on the futaba with no issue I wonder if it is more likely to be an issue with the transmission in the Movi Controller. From reading the posts yesterday on the transmitting range it seems somewhat limited. We are getting much much further on our HD link. I love the movi controller but gosh it has done my head in the last couple days

Thanks again really appreciate the help

5. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

If it helps at all, we get excellent range with the MoVI Controller. (Never measured it, but it's at least hundreds of feet)

6. Stuart Sharpless

That does help cheers, ultimately we are only legally able to fly a certain distance away unless we gain a specific permit. This has happened in the past so want to make sure no issues there. I will post our findings.

7. Stuart Sharpless

Well, I just walked in the door from a long days flying and testing. The Futaba works like clockwork but the Movi gimbal is not having any of it.

Checked every channel systematically going through each step. We managed to get a distance of 49m maX (yes we measured everyone) Has to bo something wrong with the transmission.

Something else that jumped out at me is this took just over an hour to see if all the channels were good or not. Change channel pace out to see when it lost transmission. Not quite sure how I am going to do this on set. Pretty sure i will get a kicking from someone.

I will place a ticket in the email thingy majig.

Cheers for the help any way guys.

8. Leopoldo Tamargo

Would a different antenna on the controller help?

Perhaps a patch with a higher DB Gain?

Frequency?

9. Michael Elsegood

Hi Stuart, Did you ever make progress on extending the range? What city are you located?