/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt Drift Issues

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ryan Hamelin, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Hey everyone,

We've had our rig for about 3 months now and have been operating without issue.

Today we brought the rig on set and noticed an alarming feature, the tilt axis slowly dipping forward while the rig was operational.

We're flying a 5D Mark III with a Zeiss 21mm Vistagon lens, nothing anywhere near the weight limits of the gimbal, yet without fail, every time we set up the rig it would start to tip. The drifting began to increase over time, getting to the point where my Remote Op had to compensate for the tilting during the 2 minute long walk and talk we were shooting. There are no heavy cables involved as we're using the thin Sanho hdmi cable for the monitor and a light weight power cable for the camera.

Curious if anyone else has had this problem, or if this might be the early signs of the death of our tilt motor and our rig requiring maintenance.

P.S: We even tried intentionally tweaking the balance back a smidge so that the camera would naturally tilt back rather than forward to no avail, making me think it has something to do with how the motor is compensating for the motion. When turned off, the camera remains completely still.

-Ryan

MoVi Gimbal Op
    Climbing Higher Pictures LLC
    www.climbinghigherpictures.com

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I'm guessing this was in dual-operator mode? If so, it sounds like the tilt trim is off. On the remote there is a small rectangular switch next to each axis that let's you make that adjustment. For tilt it will be to the left of the thumbstick. If the head is tilting down, then you need to push that switch up a few times until the head stays put.