/dist/images/branding/favicon

The day is near!

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Vince Rockwell, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Vince Rockwell

Vince Rockwell New Member

Well, coming from a newbie standpoint, I'm excited about this release for the M5. My major question here is, do I just jump in and make the purchase or is there a recommendation to rent before I decide? With the following this product has built up, I have no doubt the M5 will perform admirably and well above my expectations, I'm just not sure what the experience level needed to operate it properly is going to be. I'm still a blossoming film student at the Art Institute here in Houston, TX and I think this would give me a serious leg up on everyone else. I'm a firm believer of "You should invest in yourself, because if you don't then who else would be willing to?" Am I jumping the gun here people or should I heed my own advice and invest in "Project Vince?"

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Hi Vince,

You sound just about ready to make your own educated choices, so trust yourself and let your intuition take you to the next level.

I'm sure you will get many different perspectives on this, but I tend to speak from a business perspective. investing in pioneering camera gear can be an excellent ROI, but it also comes with risks. Its your job to manage the risk. Do extensive research, plan for changes, and ultimately be prepared to take a loss if things don't go perfectly.

Sometimes the biggest challenge for us is to put aside our emotions and let our objective side make the right decisions. As filmmakers we are often passionate about what we do, and pour our hearts/souls into things. of course this clouds our better judgement, so just make sure you are making your decisions based on your long-term goals for growth.

Is "Project Vince" in pre-production or already shooting?

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

If you have a legitimate pressing need for such a tool now, I strongly believe that the M5 will be an excellent tool. However, if your goal is to learn the tool and gain experience you should carefully examine the options. A very small brushless gimbal can be a fraction of the cost and can show you the ropes while the industry continues to offer more options.

4. Vince Rockwell

Jason,
    Thank you for your quick reply! If there's one thing I've learned from the military it was "Plan for changes and then plan for changes to the changes." I think this equipment is worth the risk, I'm just one of those types who doesn't want to be looked down upon by those in the film community by buying up all the new amazing equipment without having officially graduated yet. Having said that, I believe the purchase of this piece is going to be more of an advantage than a hindrance, so the risk of a loss is worth it in my eyes. I am indeed passionate about my craft, as I'm sure everyone else on this forum is. As for long-term growth, again this is an investment that I think will have great returns.

Steve,
    I want to thank you for your reply as well. Other perspectives are ALWAYS appreciated. While I don't have a legitimate pressing need for this piece, I do have what I would call a "burning desire." I want to invest in this while I have the means to, and use it to build a beautiful portfolio that will help bring in future work to help support what is going to be a growing family. I think this is going to be a great long-term investment.

Thank you both for your input, and I hope there's more that weigh in!!

5. Jason Comparetto

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Are you just trying to justify your decision?

:)

Vince Rockwell likes this.
  6. Vince Rockwell

Haha, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't trying to build myself up. I think this is more me preparing myself to break the news to the wife on what I'm preparing to do. I think she'll take it well, but always better to be PROACTIVE as opposed to REACTIVE! Thanks again gentlemen for your input! I look forward to sharing the arena with everyone.

7. Jason Comparetto

Well Vince you sound a bit ahead of your time so I'm sure you will make the right choice on this one. Actually we should be asking YOU for advice!

Vince Rockwell likes this.