/dist/images/branding/favicon

Surfing movies with the Cinestar

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Steve Maller, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I tagged along with my friend and neighbor to watch her do some surfing. It was a pretty day, although the waves ended up being a little disappointing. It was also pretty crowded out there, which was a bummer for the surfers (less so for me). I flew 4 flights (one of which i realized I never pressed "REC" on the camera...yes, it happens!) averaging somewhere over 10 minutes per flight. Most of that time was over the water. I was anywhere from 1m to 100m AGL (I was on a small bluff about 5m ASL). I spent most of the time in AH and some of the time "parked" in PH waiting for something to happen (as the surfers do, too). PH performance was decent, although I noticed the copter was considerably more stable pointing in certain directions than others. Unfortunately I can't quantify it to the point that it's helpful.

The copter's a CS8 with 14" APC MR props and otherwise a standard QC RTF config. FC is upgraded to ACC2.2. Firmware is 2.01 from MK. Camera is a GH3 and 12-35 lens shooting in 60P at 20mm or so (some conformed slomo in here) and 24P at 12mm. Gimbal is 2-axis with Radians. No post stabilization in this video (although it could use a little).

Very very happy with the performance of the copter. GPX file of the last file included if you're curious. Again, there are enough examples of poorly-performing copters' GPX files, I periodically post a sample of what a good flight looks like for reference.

Attached Files:

Drew Kachurak likes this.
  2. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Looks great Steve. Love the GH3 in 60 frames!

Steve Maller likes this.
  3. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

thanks for the show Steve. it is nice to see and great to hear all the specs to compare.

Steve Maller likes this.