/dist/images/branding/favicon

Setting Up & Using the Movi Hoodie

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rorick Edge, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I received a Movi Hoodie a few days ago and want to share what I’ve learned from setting it up.

The Hoodie comes with the hood, two 1/4” 20 screws, one 2mm screw and two O-rings.

It uses one of the 1/4” 20 screws and one O-ring. If you choose to use the cable guide, you will also need the 2mm screw.

The obvious question is, why does FreeFly provide duplicate 1/4” 20 screws, but not duplicate 2mm screws?

The answer may be that the 1/4” 20 screws are not duplicates. If that’s right, an earlier thread about grinding down the screws didn’t capture what is happening. It’s either that or FreeFly is having a problem with screw size consistency.

On my shipment, the two screws appeared to be slightly different in length. This made a difference when I used the Hoodie with a Manfrotto Twist Grip to mount an iPhone on the Hoodie (see below for why I want to do this). With one of the two screws, the Twist Grip rotated freely on the Hoodie. In other words, the screw was too long. With the other screw, it held in place perfectly. When I tried two other mounts (specifically, a standard microphone mount and a Novoflex miniature ballhead, both with 3/8” to 1/4” bushings) what appeared to be the slightly longer screw worked fine.

I intend to use the Hoodie to mount:

1. an omnidirectional, and occasionally hypercardiod, mike to record ambient sound; and

2. an iPhone as a monitor/controller when I figure out how to mount a Sony RX0 to the Movi clamp.

I also want to experiment with using a second iPhone to control the Movi while using FilmicPro.

The Hoodie could also be used to mount a small light.

I think that the Hoodie is quite stable if it is used to support fairly light accessories. Specifically, I’m comfortable using it to mount an expensive Schoeps microphone or a second iPhone. However, I would not use it to support anything heavy and/or bulky, such as a blimp/windjammer. This does affect how much wind protection I can use. For my setup, the result is that I can mount a mike on the Movi in a light breeze, using a hollow foam ball windscreen, but not in conditions where I would want to use a blimp. I’m not surprised at this limitation.

I found that if you turn an iPhone in the Movi clamp to the extreme right, and tilt the phone up a bit, the camera will pick up whatever is mounted on the Movi. Again, this doesn’t surprise me, just something to be aware of.

I decided early on that I will not be recording sound to an iPhone mounted to the Movi clamp. I believe that doing so causes problematic cable resistance to the action of the gimbal. I’ve now experimented with the Hoodie cable guide, and doing so has not changed my mind. I used a USB to Lightning cable. I didn’t need an adapter, which I gather is necessary when using at least some Rode mikes with newer iPhones. The cable guide is a good try, but ultimately I don’t think that it addresses the basic problem, which is the absence on the market of a thin, highly flexible USB to Lightning cable.

There aren’t a lot of situations where ambient sound has to be precisely synced anyway, so for me this isn’t much of an issue; and where I do want to sync sound, I’m happy to use the phone’s internal mike to record a scratch track and to use a clapperboard or hand clap. For me, that’s easier than monitoring the interaction between a cable and the gimbal when I’m supposed to be focusing on image and sound.

I still need to test the Movi in each of its modes for noise generation. My overall impression is that recording ambient sound to a mike mounted on the Hoodie shouldn’t be a major problem. However, I need to test this more rigorously.

The package includes two O-rings, one of them a spare. These will deteriorate over time. It would be helpful if FreeFly would say what size the O-rings are. In a pinch, elastic bands should work as replacements.

Unsurprisingly, the O-ring is a bit finicky to put on and remove. It’s under a fair bit of tension when in place, enough that you need to identify a tool for disengaging the O-ring that won’t cause cosmetic damage to the Movi.

The Hoodie has to be removed and reassembled every time that an accessory loosens or is changed out. The reason is that the 1/4” 20 screw, when the Hoodie is on the Movi, will just spin if you try to screw an accessory onto it. Either the accessory or the head of the screw needs to be kept still, which can only be done with the Hoodie removed from the Movi. If this is an issue for you, one potential option is to screw the 1/4” 20 through the Hoodie and into a 1/4” 20 female to 1/4” 20 male spacer, using a permanent bond (e.g. Red Loctite).

I’m unimpressed with the fact that FreeFly sells the Hoodie for US$30 (plus $15 for shipping to NYC), but doesn’t include the Allen/hex keys needed for the screws.

I think that the Hoodie is a good solution for lightweight accessories. It has its limitations, but I think these are reasonable. In my view, it is preferable to the hardware add-on solutions, when even available, for other gimbals.

This is FreeFly’s video on the Hoodie:

#1 Rorick Edge, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018