/dist/images/branding/favicon

Problems with T-Motor MN4012-9 480KV bearing washers and clips.

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Thomas Nakasone, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Thomas Nakasone

Thomas Nakasone New Member

Was time to change the bearings on my T-Motor (RC TIGER) MN 4012 - 9 480 KV motors. Went to rctiger website was advised to buy BE-009, CC003 (For 4mm Shaft), WA002 (also for 4mm shaft). Started changing them out, realized that while the prop end of the shaft is 4mm, the end where the washer and clip go is actually 5mm. I double checked this with a caliper and reconfirmed on the schematic for the motor. Schematic avail : http://www.getfpv.com/motors/tiger-motor-mn4012-9-480kv.html , links to tiger suggested replacement parts here : http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/Navigator_0910/39.html .

SO, i re-order the only products that t-motor makes for 5mm shafts. WA003 and CC004. BE009 replacement bearings are spot on...even the codes on the motors match the old ones. However, after replacing everything I jumped from motor temps under load from in the 50's to high 70's I started pulling hair out trying to figure out what I did wrong (or as I came to find out what t-motor has done wrong).

Aside from the product codes for the washer and clip being for the wrong width shaft, well get this....the new replacement product they offer for 5mm shafts are different from the old ones in my motors. The used washer width measured .6mm...the new washers .4mm(cc004)....furthermore the old clips measured .5mm the new were .4mm. So the old washers and clips together were .3mm wider than the new replacement parts. The bell housing can can be pulled ever so slightly away from the motor chassis.

I have emailed t-motor support for their take, but I am wondering if anyone could offer any incite.

Is this .3mm enough to be responsible for a a 25+ degrees C jump in operating temps?

With exceeding the operating temp by this much have I potentially damaged the new bearings/motor?

Does anyone know how I could solve the problem aka where I could find the right washers and clips?

Can someone please try and pull the bell housing from the motor chassis and let me know if there is any play, even a minute amount?

Thanks in advance yall!

2. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

If the clips are wider they may not have the clearance to freely rotate around the holes on the motor mount. I would suggest pulling off the motors from the copter and look at the bottoms through the mount holes. If the c clamp is rubbing on the mount it will cause excessive friction on the freedom of rotation that can lead to motor and/or ESC failure.

In your case since the temps only rose to 70 you probably are fine. You will not want to fly until you solve your issue. I remember our old 4S birds getting close to 100 all the time. I believe terminal failures occur around the 130+ mark.

If this is the case the only way to solve it is get smaller clamps or drill out a larger hole on the motor mount using a drill press preferably.

This is troubling that Tiger is not selling a direct replacement part. I use the 4014-11's on my bird. I have not had to replace my bearings yet. But I will keep your post in mind in the future.