/dist/images/branding/favicon

M15 Case opinion

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Guys im looking to by a M15 case, and Im in between the FF case, and Jason Cases, both look very nice, FF case I have seen with the 2 level trays, JC has more sizes and different inside distribution layout and prices, whats your opinion
    thanks

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Jose, I could go on and on about cases... I keep changing my mind and discovering what my needs really are. Jason cases look amazing and of very high quality, but I needed more flexibility, and I have added a ton of accessories to my M15.

The Movi itself goes in a large rolling Tool box. I found that I wanted to keep the Movi as built and ready as possible from camera prep to shooting, so I started with furniture pads and a Rubber-Maid Tub, and then I switched to a Blue Hawk Rolling Tool Case, because the Rubbermaid started to weaken after a while. This is the tool box at Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-30-5-in-Black-Plastic-Wheeled-Tool-Box/3355634

I have extra padding in the bottom, and I try to only transport the Movi in my car, not the back of a camera truck, because I'm worried about bumps and vibrations on its sensitive motors and electronics. On location, this box can be used to move the Movi around without removing the camera, but I don't like to leave the camera on for longer moves because I don't want to stress it. I do have to remove the top handle when I put it in this case, because it's not quite big enough, but the Toad in the Hole makes that easy enough.

I converted the Freefly case that came with my M15 into a regular Pelican Storm case with TrekPak Dividers. It's the main AKS case for the Movi. I also have separate cases for my Bartech, Tomahawk, and PLC Wheels. Finally, I have another similar Movi AKS case with Padded Dividers in case I need to put the Movi on an airplane for a travel job, but normally I just use it to hold some batteries, the Mimic, and my wireless focus pulling station for my AC.

I also love these clear plastic zipper bags, and I use them to organize all of my cables, tools, parts, etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/MMF-Industri...d=1472338173&sr=8-8&keywords=clear+zipper+bag

I must have 30 or 40 of these clear pouches scattered through my kits.

One other thing, if you end up buying more Pelican cases -- the Storm case that came with the Movi is a Pelican Storm IM2950, and it's too wide to fit through a door sideways. That may sound like an odd issue, but if you put it on a cart or Magliner with other pelican cases, it's not going to fit through the door. I find that inconvenient, and would rather have more smaller cases (24" maximum, which fits on my cart).

If you're flying a lot, the Pelican Air cases are a lot lighter, but they don't make one in my ideal size yet, which I think is something like a Pelican 1610.

Also, I posted this the other day in another part of the Forum, but I built a battery charging station out of a milk crate. It makes things faster for setup on set.

Your needs may vary considerably, of course. I'm a little case-crazy. And maybe this didn't exactly answer your question.
    -Graham

IMG_3698.jpg IMG_3699.jpg IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3635.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg

Aaron Marquette likes this.
  3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Thanks Graham for your detail explanation and pictures by the time you start to add the extra stuff the original case is too small I been there with the original M5 case specially when I use the gimbals for hand held and airborne you made me think this again I know the Lowes case/box they are great because they have lots of space they are light and best cheap
    Question I have seen those dividers are they pelican?

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The dividers are by Trek Pak, but Pelican may or may not have acquired them... you can buy Pelican cases with TrekPak inserts at B&H now. They're really nice and have held up so far.

5. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Hi Jose,

could you tell us more about your current setup and your workflow? It might help me point you in a direction. Thanks