/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is balance critical? To the life of the Movi?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Darrin Altman, May 16, 2018.

1. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

This post is a continuation of my showcase post about my carry case. Andy mentioned he wants a run and gun setup to really quickly get the Movi out and ready to shoot. I too really want to keep the counterweight attached permanently to the Movi but I don’t always shoot with Moment lenses. I did try and will experiment again today (just received the Movi yesterday) but I couldn’t get the Movi to balance with the counterweight attached and only my iPhone X in the Moment case, no lens. I can get the horizontal balance using the medium sized weight on the bottom and the arm fully extended but the iPhone tilts forward. When I turn on the Movi it works fine and doesn’t get hot. What do you think? Can I get away with using the Movi like this? Then when I use a Moment lens I will only need to swap the weights. Is balance critical to the life of the motors on the Movi? Just as an aside, on the DJI Osmo Mobile 1 & 2 it’s impossible to get the forward tilt balanced, with or without a lens. Just the iPhone X in a Moment case will tilt forward. With a lens and a counterweight it will tilt back. Any comments are appreciated.

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

If you haven’t already, you might find it useful to read Tabb Firchau’s posts in the comments section for this video. As I understand it, poor balance adversely affects the quality of your footage, leaving aside what it does to battery life and, if a regular problem, the longevity of the motors:

#2 Rorick Edge, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Additionally the livestream yesterday: