/dist/images/branding/favicon

How sensitive/durable is the M5?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Shaun Edward, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Shaun Edward

Shaun Edward New Member

I just got my M5 and I've been shooting all day. After I calibrated everything and had it working smoothly, I would still mess with my 5DMKIII. Changing the camera settings, aperture... etc. I would get some vibration feedback sometimes. Turned it off, then back on again, quite a few times through the day. Brought it to the beach, and up in the jungle.

I found myself being very careful given the pricetag, but I have to admit... I want to hike with this thing, run, and jump. Lay it down in the back of my car, put it in some light rain, and maybe bump it sometimes by accident.
    Is this assuming too much?
    Would it survive a (worst case scenario) drop? I know my 5D has...

What would you say is pushing the limit?

Ben Lloyd and Jack Klink like this.
  2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I had the dubious distinction of being the first person to crash an M5 (as per Tabb), and I’ll tell you that it’s not indestructible. But it is modularly constructed, and in my case, required only a few parts to be replaced. But the design goals are ease of use and low weight. I think if you wanted to build something that could handle being thrown about, you would do it a little differently. I’d think of it more like a laboratory instrument than a chainsaw. In particular, the balancing and calibration require a stable, level surface, for example.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Shaun, we've done all that and more in testing and shooting. Be careful in rain as water and electronics don't usually mix.

You can also put the MoVI on the ground without the stand, we often do, but be sure it is powered down. Good for traveling fully built on car seats..etc

4. Shaun Edward

Shaun Edward New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I did more shooting today and I have to say this is a beautiful piece of machinery. It honestly works better than I expected.

Are there any links/writing on proper care for this product in terms of maintenance or tips? I currently keep my M5 (turned off) hanging on it's stand with no camera mounted. Is it preferable to have it laying down when not in use?

Sorry for the OCD, but it's got that "brand new car" feeling and I like my tech to last!