/dist/images/branding/favicon

Having an issue with M15 not centering back in when panning. Not sure what's I am doing wrong?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Adam Brennan, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

When I autotune and pick up my Movi, I can pan with it fine, but it seems like the movi won't center back and stays at an angle. What I am I doing wrong here? I can recenter by pushing it back to center while the power is on. It will stay centered and point the camera forward but as soon as I start panning/moving again, it won't go back to center. When I have my subject in front of me, it seems like the Movi will want to drift my camera to the left and not snap back to center. Here's a picture of the Movi with power on and as you can see it's doesn't to center. Thoughts? Anything to do with my monitor being big and a little heavy? I don't think so, but what's people's thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hi Adam,

If I understand your question, you want the pan tubes to be at a 90 degree angle from the handle bars. Two ways to fix this:

1. Before you boot up your MoVI, make sure your pan is well balanced. Then make sure when your pan tubes are at a 90 degree angle from the handle bars, look under the pan tubes and make sure they are parallel with the ground. A monitor or items on the handle bars might be rolling the handle bars forward or aft, causing the pan motor to calibrate at an angle. You might have to hold the handle bars to ensure the pan tubes are "flat", or at least parallel with the ground to ensure proper pan calibration during boot up. If this doesn't work then your Toad might be mounted in the Hole at a slight angle. If so then:

2. Estimate how many degrees off the pan tubes are. Then use your remote and put the MoVI in kill mode. Then, undo the Toad in the Hole safety latch but DONT PRESS THE TWO RELEASE MECHANISMS. Grab the Hole by any part except the release mechanisms and rotate it in the direction that would have made the pan tubes at a 90 degree angle by the number of degrees you estimated the pan tube to be off. Then, fasten the Toad in the Hole safety latch and switch the remote from kill mode to majestic mode. You may have to fine tune this operation depending on the accuracy of your degrees estimation.

Hope this helps,

-K

3. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Kurth thank you for taking the time to write this. I think it may be your #1 explanation. Assuming it's all balanced correctly, the monitor with the battery is a little on the heavy side and I think it does tend to roll the handle bars. I have a Red Scarlet W on order and upgraded the monitor to the 7" and think the red monitor will be much lighter than the odyssey 7Q+. I will have to try to tune the Movi without the monitor on it and see if I have the same issue. If I look at the monitor chart on the Movi app, what should the roll % be at standing still with the dual pan bars parallel with the ground? If I don't then there's my problem. I am curious by rotating the toad in the hole all that really is doing is compensating for it being off after I tune it? I thought the toad in the hole as long as it's secure when tuning, it didn't matter the position it was facing?

4. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

In the MoVI app, under charts, all 3 of your motors should be working less than +/- 5% with 0 being the optimum number. However, a better gauge of your pan balanced is how much you can roll the handle bars before the gimbal begins to pan.

For example, you have tilt, roll, vertical tilt balanced and now you're working on pan balance (the gimbal is powered off so far). You check pan balance by having the pan tubes at a 90 degree angle from the handle bars. You roll the handle bars by grabbing both of them and raising the right handle bar height slightly higher than the left one. If the rear of the gimbal swings "downhill" towards the left handle bar you know the pan balance is back heavy. If the front swings downhill, the pan balance is front heavy. If you can raise the right handle bar so there's about a 15 degree slope between handle bars and neither side swings downhill, you know pan is balanced. This is how I'd gauge the pan balance more so than checking the charts.

If you connected the Toad in the Hole wrong, when you power up the MoVI, the camera on the MoVI could be facing the handle bar (aka the pan tubes are parallel with the handle bars). This would be the extreme case of the problem you're facing. If this is the case, then my #2 solution above is how you'd fix your problem.

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Adam, the Movi will always point at the 'latch' on the Toad. If you unlatch the toad and rotate it, then re-latch, the Movi will face a different direction. I put a label on my Toad latch that says 'this side forward', just to remind AC's about it.

In your photo, I can't see the Latch, but the toad definitely doesn't look square to the handle bar.

Also, you have a Pan Trim adjustment in the app. I'm going to assume that's set to zero if you haven't adjusted it.

Let us know what you find. I'd doubt it's your Pan balance causing it to hold at an off angle, but maybe? If your handlebars are sitting stationary and level, there's not a lot of unbalance to the Pan motor, especially with a camera as light as a DSLR on an M15.