/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 Build - Sam

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Sam Slape, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I agree, I bought the DVD in advance to the purchase. The DVD gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on purchasing the kit.
    The DVD doesn't have everything but it sure gives you enough info to do the job. There's nothing that can't be figured out that's not in the video.

2. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Thanks Dave

I believe I have my LEDs on the board the wrong way. I plan to have a look at this tomorrow almost midnight in Australia. I'll report back.

I only have a few things left before I'm ready for first flight, which is a bit scary! Any tips of things to do and check before going props on and flight? I've been practicing with a multiwiicopter scarab armour quad and AeroSim.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I skipped the PCB extension board, as I figured with telemetry and voice prompts reminding me about voltage levels, it was redundant. That said, I'll probably solder it up and add it at some point.

WRT first flight tips, here are a few from me. YMMV.
    1. Do yourself a favor and wait for a very calm day. Even a little breeze can be very disheartening.
    2. Find a grass or artificial turf field. A sports complex with a large, open space is ideal. Even better is a golf course or a place with large trees surrounding grassy areas, as you're better off flying into a tree than a freeway or a house.
    3. Get some rope or (even better) cargo straps and secure your bird to something very heavy (like a large concrete block or an adolescent child) and run up the motors to assure you that all your controls do what they're supposed to. I secured my Cinestar 8 to the luggage rack of my car (with padding underneath) to test it (see below) before my first flight.
    4. Your first liftoff is scary, especially because one's instinct is to apply the throttle very gently, and all that's going to do is tip the copter over. Ground effect is very strong with these big copters, so you need to apply a lot more throttle than you might like to get airborne. But once you're 2-3 meters up, you can hover quite easily, assuming your build is sound.

4. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Thanks Steve. I rotated the LEDs on the extension board and they are now working as expected.

I am waiting on a couple of the 6 pin IDC ribbon cable connectors to arrive so I can get the length right.
    After that it will be props on for a test and then the first flight.

I setup the fail safe today in MK Tools. How do I check the fail safe on the MX20 is off?

5. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Okay so I have turned off the fail safe in the tx.

Can someone tell me: when plugging in a battery all the props twitch, They go in the order of 13245678 I assumed that motors 2 and 3 were assigned wrong or the motor wires were connected to the wrong BLs. I then did the "motor test" in mk tools and they all spun up the correct motors.
    Is this normal??

6. Dave King

If you open MK tools you can do a motor check for each motor. Once you assign motor 2 and test it you will see which one is spinning. Same for motor #3. I think you will find that once you do this check you will find the motors reversed because they should twitch in order.

7. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Yes I did the individual motor test and 2=2 and 3=3. Any ideas or am I being over concerned?

8. Dave King

IF you did the motor test and all motors are responding accordingly as they should I think you are good and everything is wired correctly.
    Anyone else have input?

9. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

When I was still running all my MK Boards my copter never did it's self motor test in the correct order... EVERY-so-often it would go 1-8 in sequence but most of the time it was 1,4,2,8,6,3,5,7 or something random. If everything tests correctly in MK tools on individual motor tests then everything will be fine. You can always do a test like shown above my grounding the copter so it can't fly away OR if you have a brave friend, have them hold the copter TIGHTLY above their head and start the motors and slowly throttle up. Your friend should feel the copter pull straight up. If something is wrong it will want to go a different direction. Hope this helps!

Josh

10. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

I've done the tied down test and all seems OK. First flight in the next few days.
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I guess the motors just twitch once they have passed their tests and twitch in no particular order.

Thanks again.