/dist/images/branding/favicon

C300 Baseplate problem

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Charlie Beyer, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

I occasionally shoot the movi with the C300. I have two options for mounting a Follow Focus Motor. One is on the base plate with the rod attachment (Prefered), the other is to use a Mov Cam top handle stripped down so only the rod holder part is on the camera. Basically the camera is generally top heavy and I want to use the bottom base plate rod attachment that Movi sells. The problem is that the C300 holes and the Movi base plate holes don't line up (only one hole lines up). Has anyone found a simple solution to this problem? I have found only one other thread about this and the guy asking the question answered his own question with "I have a Zacuto Plate".

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Hi Charlie,

If you want we will machine the correct hole spacing into the baseplate so that you'll increase rigidity. I suppose we could also make a small adapter plate, that goes between the C300 and the baseplate, which will give you the correct hole pattern. It wouldn't weigh that much, but nonetheless it would still be about 3/8" thick. Its not ideal.

Our rod adapter will go directly from the Movi baseplate to 15mm rods.
    [​IMG]

3. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

I was considering something like that (Drilling new holes that line up) but the Movi baseplate already has 4 holes and I wonder how a new hole would work. A thin aluminum bridge plate (1/2" thick about) that screws into the camera with the correct "Movi Plate" holes in it would also work I believe. Is that something you could make? Is one easier than the other?

4. Jason Comparetto

Both solutions are pretty simple if you have the type of equipment that we have in our shop. I prefer having the solution built into the baseplate because that way its less stuff that can get lost, and also reduces the "stack height".

5. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

Would you have to start with a new base plate? What I mean is that the plate I have is perfect for the Epic. Would you alter it so that it would only work with a C300 or would it still work with an Epic?

6. Jason Comparetto

I could make this modification to any baseplate. The existing baseplate has holes cut out at even intervals. My modification would connect the 3rd and 4th hole. This way, an infinite number of cameras models could fit this plate. In fact, almost all tripod plates are designed this way.

7. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

Copy. That sounds like a good solution. What do you charge? How long will it take? Ill have to send it to you and get it back quickly as it is my only one. I have your case as you know and I love it so I trust your work. In fact I rented my Movi out to a friend who is using it today and he commented on how awesome the case is. He even said that Movi should offer it as a option when someone buys a new M10.

8. Jason Comparetto

We can do that modification the same day we receive the plate. Please contact me at jason@CinemaOxide.com to make arrangements

9. Jason Comparetto

Update: Charlie sent in the plate and we were able to make the modification to the plate. Bottom line is it works excellent and so we will be offering this service to other people if they need it. Here's the webpage for more info:
    http://cinemaoxide.com/site/product/movi-camera-plate-mod/

[​IMG]
    We'll also be working on trying to integrate a 3/8" camera screw into this plate in the coming weeks.

10. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

Here is a photo of the finished piece in action. It works great and is stiff and the best part is I don't need to use my Movi top plate to have a secure place for the focus motor. I have not tried this plate on other cameras but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It is works the same way a standard tripod plate works. A 3/8" stubby screw and a 1/4-20 screw are the best combo for the C300. I am currently using a reducing thread thing (3/8 to 1/4-20 reducer) at the moment. I believe Cinema Oxide will be able to provide that. Here is a photo of the new plate on the C300.
    photo.JPG