/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balancing questions for Movi Pro

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Len Peterson, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Len Peterson

Len Peterson New Member

Hi all, just a few questions in regards to balancing for someone who is new to the gimbal world and the Movi Pro:

1) Can't get the camera to stay in any position on the roll axis. If I rotate the camera on either direction of the roll axis it seems to roll back to level in about 1 to 1.5 seconds. This timing seems pretty close rolling it either way. Is this ok or is there something I'm missing here? It doesn't seem to suggest sliding the camera in either direction as neither side rolls quicker. Should I be able to get it to stick in roll axis position? The camera seems to stay when I tilt it back or forward which suggests my front/back tilt and vertical axis tilt are good.

2) In order to balance the pan axis should I be holding the ring perpendicular to the ground (I assume so). What I've been doing is holding the ring perpendicular to the ground and then picking up the ring and rolling it to the side. Once I get it to not pan either direction and stay in a position, the camera always rolls off to the side when it's sitting on the ring feet with ring in the slight angled forward resting position. In the normal ring resting position on the feet, the camera pans and likes to rest pointing at the ring (as in 90 degrees from facing forward)

3) Assuming I've achieved correct balance, once I turn on the gimbal how does it know which way is forward. When I turn it on now, it starts to pan back and forth about 15 degrees to either side and it won't stop doing this so I just shut it off.

Perhaps these are basic questions but I'm new to this game. I did achieve what seemed to be a well balanced, functioning Movi upon first set up but have been unable to get it there now. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Len, it's hard to diagnose your roll axis problem without seeing it. Do you have any cables attached, like a BNC for your monitor, that may be tugging on it? It sounds like your Tilt Center of Gravity axis is OK, if it will hold any tilt position, but usually if the camera is slid down on this axis, it tends to want to return to that front-facing position.

I'm a fan of using a Dock to balance the Pan Axis and work with the rig because it holds the Ring straight up and down instead of leaning forward, but that comes from owning a previous generation Movi. You can build a dock pretty inexpensively, if you want, out of a garage hook. There are a few threads on here about the Pan balance you can also look through.

As for the panning back and forth, have you tried running an Auto-Tune? It may be your Pan motor setting is really low.

Once you get auto-tuned, you can look at the screen on the back of the Movi that shows your balance, and it can maybe give you a clue if something's off.