/dist/images/branding/favicon

4th MoVI motor to remove some vertical movement

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Kurt Wallrath, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

The option for a 4th MoVI motor to control a small amount of vertical movement (ie steps when walking) would be an awesome addition. While I've practiced glide stepping and smoothing my walk, on long takes or long days, those smooth steps start to become not-so-smooth! I think it would also make working with the Easy Rig easier.

The new "vertical" motor could could go on or between the aluminum truss on the same carbon fiber tube as the tilt motor. The tilt and "vertical" motor could work together to prevent the camera from tilting as the vertical motor compensates for steps or other vertical movement. It wouldn't need a huge window to compensate for steps. The opposite side of the truss would just need a hinge to allow for the vertical motor to move.

Any other thoughts on adding an additional motor to compensate for vertical movement?

2. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Kurt, I´m not a technician, but this motor would be very heavy because it would have to carry a lot of weight. The current motors don´t have to, because the gimbal is (or should be) balanced by the opterator. Carrying such a system would probably need a Hulk. So it might be best to look for a steadicam arm, etc..

3. Markus Mueller

Hi Kurt,
    a problem, I think most of us have. As mentioned above, the motor seems to be a non realistic option.
    There is a company called flowcine and they build an arm called Serene, whitch could be the solution. But as far as I can see, it is still not on the market yet.

Best - Markus

4. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Great points Wolfgang and Markus. There'd definitely need to be some sort of counter-balance or a really strong motor. Both present problems from an engineering standpoint. A stronger motor may be feasible but it's going to drain your battery faster. A counter balance adds weight. If there was a way to create a second mounting area to put all the camera accessories to act as a counter balance, it may be possible. If you make the new "cage" from the M5 (and soon to be M15) and had it tilted back 90 degrees so its flat instead of vertical, you could mount the camera on the lower bars facing "forward" (it would be facing down in its regular position), then add your batteries and other accessories to your top bars. You'd need to add the motor to where the vertical bars meet the cross bar that holds the camera, which be a significant remodel, but it could potentially work.

However, there may be an issue with tilt in majestic mode...