/dist/images/branding/favicon

iPhone X or iPhone X Plus - 2018 - for MOVI

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Frank Algermissen, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Hi folks,

we are close to new iPhones. Actually I own an iPhone X and am really happy with its size. Very handy and enough screen on the other side.

Now there will be also an iPhone X Plus coming up. What do you think about it? Would it work good with the MOVI or do you better prefer the smaller iPhone X to get less trouble? Any iPhone 8 Plus size users here? How about your experiences on the MOVI? Too large or okay or fitting/working perfectly?

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

I’m happy with the size of the iPhone X, only reason I would change would be if they ditched their optical image stabilization.

3. Stefan Timm

Stefan Timm New Member

Same here, but I have little hope the OIS on the new 2018 iPhones can be switched off.

Is anybody using magnets to block the iPhone X OIS? Does it work? Has anybody experienced any sort to damage?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I would be concerned that using a magnet, while it "locks" the phone OIS also causes the OIS motors/actuators to work way harder to overpower the magnet.

Check out this video:

Be sure to read the full description on that YouTube link though. One commenter wrote: "I tried this with my iPhone 8 and a 8x2mm Neodym magnet. Got really hot around the camera and the focus was off. Had to send the Osmo Mobile back, its pretty useless with the OIS iPhones. Only acceptable footage while standing."

As we used to say on the net, YMMV (your mileage may vary).
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Freefly discusses this in one of its recent Q&A videos. It does not recommend it.