/dist/images/branding/favicon

So they are out in the wild?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Alessandro Garabaghi, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Alessandro Garabaghi

Was just wondering if anyone has attempted to use the Movi Robot with Filmic Pro disabling stabilizer and seeing it helps with the jitter from the iphone x ?

Is there jitter with the iphone x?

Has anyone used this stabilizer in a fast moving situation... on a skateboard / in a car / on a boat? I am wonder how it handles the vibrations and if it can be stable.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Alessandro: I suspect it all depends on whether the vibrations cause rotations around the three axes or along them -- if it's along the axes, the Movi CR is not going to be able to null them out.

I don't have Filmic Pro and I'm afraid I don't skateboard -- but I've tried using the Movi CR in a car -- the real problem there is that my arm acts as a cantilever, so when there is a bump, there's movement vertically along the pitch axis and there's nothing in the physics of the Movi gimbal (or any pure three-axis gimbal for that matter) that can null out that motion.

Sorry if this is not a complete answer to your question -- happy to try some other experiments as long as they don't require skateboarding, bungee jumping, paragliding, sky-diving, or playing in the fast lane of a freeway. :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Lou Ruiz

Lou Ruiz New Member

Anyone know if they are still shipping? or have they gone into backorder status after the first batch?

4. John Woods

John Woods New Member

I think they were supposed to ship another batch this week or last week...that's what i gleaned from a live Instagram video a while back.

5. Lou Ruiz

Lou Ruiz New Member

Thanks for the response. I figured there would be a bunch of product reviews and unboxings since release, but theres really only a handful of coverage that I've come across, with most being from the Moment guys.

Ok, back to waiting.

John Woods likes this.
  6. John Woods

John Woods New Member

I’m right there with ya Lou. Waiting, anxiously waiting. Meanwhile, learning from the handful of folks posting in the forum

7. Alessandro Garabaghi

Andy - come to Florida and bring one so we can test it on the boat =)

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sounds appealing, Alessandro -- wish I had the time to travel to FL for that test!

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Zach Nagle

Zach Nagle New Member

Hi Lou - I have not received mine yet, and my order is #M22700.

10. Lou Ruiz

Lou Ruiz New Member

Thanks Zach, just found my order number, if its alpa numerical, you will be getting yours first.

11. Peter Hardingham

Peter Hardingham New Member

I’ve had the Movi Cinema Robot for about a week and tested it with the Movi app, Filmic Pro, and the native Apple Camera app using the iPhone X.

In all 3 apps micro jitters are clearly visible because of the OIS, even using the option within Filmic Pro to ‘disable’ stabilisation (because it is physically impossible for the app to completely disable it). The jitters are sufficiently visible to make pans/using echo mode worse than shooting it handheld, which initially was a huge disappointment.

However, I’ve discovered that setting the resolution and frame rate to 4K @ 60fps - in any of the apps - dramatically reduces the micro jitters i.e to an acceptable level.

I have no clue as to why this difference exists and whether the hardware/firmware alters the OIS at these settings, but I’ll be shooting at these settings whenever using the gimbal from now on.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for posting, Peter. Have you tried running the resulting footage with the jitters through any kind of stabilization filter in, say, Adobe Premiere?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

John Chu likes this.
  13. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

... and maybe can you upload 1-2 examples please - even it's "just micro" jitters ?

14. Alessandro Garabaghi

Using movi app and iPhone X

4K 24 echo .... I don’t see jitter

15. Peter Hardingham

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd be completely happy with that result Alessandro...does not look buttery smooth to me.

Here's the two sample files, one at 24fps, one at 60fps, that's the only difference between the shots.

16. Alessandro Garabaghi

The pan might not be smooth, couple be a balance thing, but you can see the jitter in your 24fps one, which i do not notice in mine. Especially in the first couple of seconds of your 24p clip.

I do agree that i dont think 24p with a variable fps codec is a good idea, so i only shoot at 60 / 120 / 240.

I use the movi mainly for B-Roll shots, so shooting in 120 / 240 really helps when trying to deal with shake.

17. Peter Hardingham

Interesting you don't see anything similar at 24fps Alessandro, wonder if sample variation accounts for a difference in motor response...or perhaps something in fine tuning the balance could help?

When using Filmic Pro I had wanted to use 24fps with some of their film profiles (flat/log etc) but these can't be used above 30fps. Looks like I'll have to wait to see how the Movi app develops.

Andy, I haven't tried to eradicate the jitters in software, and I'd rather not have to introduce it into the workflow if possible. Happy to send you the orginal file for you to play with though.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Peter:
    I'm just leaving on a business trip so wouldn't be able to get to until late June, I'm afraid, so by all means send me a Dropbox link to the file and I'll download, but don't hold your breath for results!

I've used a Conversation to get you my email address.
    Andy