/dist/images/branding/favicon

Aerial pan issues

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Ben Platts, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Thijm le Grand

Did you test with a lower gyro filter?

2. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Yes. Lower and higher. This was tuning whilst the rig was suspended. Both seemed to make things worse. I haven't tried an auto tuning with a lower gyro setting. Can try this. Have you found this to help in the past?

3. Thijm le Grand

I do not own the Pro. Still on the M15 with v4.02. I know that settings are not comparable.
    But did have similar results with standard settings. Only got good results with low Gyro and Output filters.

4. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I always get good results with the M15 running akira. Never had to touch any settings other than the stiffness settings so that's why I'm finding the Pro so hard to understand. I thought it was supposed to make tuning easier!

Andrew Griffiths likes this.
  5. Thijm le Grand

Same here. Also thought that auto filters would solve these issues.
    Maybe the firmware needs fine tuning.

6. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Out testing more today to try and eliminate things. Had the benefit of another person with a Movi Pro, an M15 and another Alta 8. Tested the M15 against my Pro. M15 was better. Tested with another Alta, no change. So definitely my Pro. Rigged exactly the same set up on my Pro and then my friends and noticed something pretty major without even flying it. The physical properties of the second Pro were quite different to mine in that the Pan axis was perfectly balanced whereas mine always swings to the left as described in this thread http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/movi-pro-pan-balance.8855/.
    Also the second Pro balanced very well on the tilt and roll axis whereas mine seems to get to a point where the tilt is balanced at the perfect point but the roll feels slightly bottom heavy still. It seems like my Pro actually has different physical properties to the second Pro. The pan axis on mine is pretty majorly out so for the second Pro to be perfect must mean something is quite different in the weight distribution of the frame. I made a point of completely replicating every object and its positioning on each different Movi Pro so the set up was identical to prove there is actually a difference in the frames themselves. My Pro is about 3 months old whereas my friends is 2 weeks old. In flight I could get the pan stiffness of the second Pro up to about 135 without it oscillating. With my Pro I couldn't get it much past 122. Again identical set ups and being flown under the same Alta 8 each time. It seems like whatever difference there is in the frame is cause the performance to be affected quite a lot. The results from the second Pro were pretty good even with basic tuning.

7. Stefan Helborg

Hmm so mabye a faulty version??

8. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Yeah I guess so. Waiting to hear from FF support

9. James Davis

James Davis New Member

What is your jolt rejection set to?

10. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I put it up to 2 and things got a bit better. What do you use? It's not a setting I've ever changed before.

11. sebastian navarro

sebastian navarro New Member

off topic: wondering what sdi to hdmi converter are you using. In the photos its seen some kind of circuit board attached on the side of the mini. sebastian

12. James Davis

James Davis New Member

I would try leaving jolt rejection at zero and turning pan & tilt hold up to the maximum until you get oscillation, then dial it back a little, see if that helps.

13. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Tried those normal procedures over and over again and I can't seem to get my stiffness settings high enough to make the gimbal smooth in the air without it oscillating. I think it's due to my Pro frame being naturally unbalanced on the pan axis. I've compared it to another pro and it's definitely unbalanced. Seems to mean I can't get the pan stiffness high enough as I can't actually balanced it perfectly due to a fault with the frame. Contacted FF about trying to get a replacement.

14. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

It's just a cheap £30 one off Amazon. I've got 2 of them. It comes in a metal case but I just strip it down and shrink wrap it to save weight.

sebastian navarro likes this.
  15. Louie Northern

Louie Northern New Member

Hi Ben- thank you for being so thorough with your description of your MoviPro issues.

It seems we are having the exact issue you are experiencing, and I wonder if you've found a solution since your last post (March 24)?

I'd love to hear about any progress you've made. As we continue to problem solve our unit/issues, any information would be appreciated.

Best-
    Louie

Stefan Helborg likes this.
  16. Stefan Helborg

17. Andre de Alencar Lyon

My Movi Pro is having exactly the same problem Ben describes. I've been trying to find a resolution with Freefly support since February 14. I haven't been able to reach them at all for the past three weeks. Never had this trouble with the M10 or M15.

18. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi guys,

Did anyone figure out this inability to smoothly control the gimbal via r/c control on a drone? I need one of these gimbals, but frankly the stuff you read in here scares the crap out of me.

Thanks,

Wayne Mann
    www.HeliCamHighDefmedia.com

19. Andre de Alencar Lyon

I haven't found a resolution. I'm curious to hear if others on this thread have made progress. I got great results with the M10 and M15, but I had a range of problems with two separate Movi Pros, both of which I've returned after months of troubleshooting. The first Pro was inconsistently steady in flight and had a very weak pan motor: the pan would blow out just attempting to slowly pan in a 5mph wind. The second Pro had a frame defect that made it impossible to achieve left/right pan balance (Freefly confirmed this needs to be improved in the manufacturing process), was very unsteady in flight, would occasionally (randomly) twitch violently on the roll and tilt axes, could never lock GPS or hold horizon at all (couldn't detect satellites at locations where my M10 and M15 had detected 7-10 or more), and also had a weak pan motor (not as weak as the previous unit, but still weaker than the M10 and M15). It also seems the Pan/Tilt Joystick Smoothing function doesn't work on the Movi Pro; it didn't work on either of my units, which had very abrupt starts and stops on pan/tilt movements even with Joystick Smoothing set to 30. Freefly said this would be addressed in a firmware update, but I haven't seen any news on this.

I've been troubleshooting with Freefly since February; my support ticket e-mail chain is currently 129 printed pages. I never made progress on any of these issues. Freefly Support maintained that most or all of my problems were likely due to user error, but they could never identify a mistake in my setup or operation. It was certainly the slowest, least helpful and most frustrating tech-support experience of my life.

I suspect my case is unusually extreme, but I've seen other forum users report at least some of the problems I've listed above. (I should note that I only purchased the Movi Pro for aerial use; all of these issues appeared in flight, as it was never tested on the ground.) I'm hoping these glitches only affect a few lemons, and I'd like to give the Pro another shot through the Test Drive program. It's beautifully designed, much more convenient to transport and set up in the field than the M10/M15, and seems to perform well for others. I'd love to have a Movi with the "doubled pan torque" that Freefly advertises. But so far my experience with this model has been a nightmare. I hope I'll be able to report better news in the near future. If any of these problems are resolved to my satisfaction, I'll immediately post an update to this thread.

20. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

#40 Wayne Mann, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017